Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8377 made 6 years ago
Greetings to Luke, centaur25 and DNKDUKE.
No matter how you found this site, you have indeed discovered a wealth of information. We all share a fascination for the brewing process and have selected a simple way to achieve good beer through BIAB.
As for no-chill, all brewers pay for heat and commercial brewers do not wish to throw that away when they have another batch immediately following. So they re-capture the heat by transferring it from the hot batch to the water for the next batch. The faster they do this, the quicker they move the product through the tanks to market. I make one batch at a time, so heat recovery is not a worry (I have to discard it). If you think about it, why is chilling a concern? It turns out that it does not need to be in most brews. Keep track of the time and temperature curve as you manage your late hops additions and you will find that no-chill works fine. You can help further dispel the myth by contributing to the no-chill knowledge base on the site.
Keep reading, it's worth it.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8378 made 6 years ago
Hey all!

I'm from Redding CA. I live here with my wife and am in my second year of being a middle school teacher. I found this site after doing loads of research about different brewing techniques. I have done a few 5 gal extract/partial mash kits. I made some pretty OK beer and also made some "not-so-good" beer. That being said I thought a lot about if that was the best way to do things. That led me to this site. The community attitude displayed here really made me want to be a part of this. Single vessel BIAB seems to make the most sense to me. I am especially intrigued with doing some mini-biab. Honing my skills and not having 5 gallons of all the same beer are my main priorities.

Excited to dive in!
- Jake
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8379 made 6 years ago
1. Where are you from? sunshine Coast, Australia
2. How did you stumble across the site? Looking for Biab introduction
3. What you think of it so far? Lots of info!
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using? Currently using coopers extracts with steeped grains and hops.
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household. Working in It.
    • FWK Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Australia

Post #8380 made 6 years ago
Welcome to the forum Johnsmith1882 - glad you're here! You're right, there's a Lot of information here. To get the most out of this site, download the Clear Brewing Terminology ( http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685 ) and start asking questions. You'll get very concise answers, and usually a reference back to a thread that really delves into the subject. If you have a favorite style or beer you'd like to try, do a search and download a BIABACUS for one you like, modify it to fit your kit, and then post it so others can make sure you've got everything filled in correctly - then brew it!

Good Luck!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8381 made 6 years ago
Jake in Redding, CA, USA... Looks like we almost overlooked your post. Welcome to the forum! I live a few hundred miles North of you...

I have never done Mini-BIAB, but many others on the forum regularly do. Break it down and do your best at each brewing step...and you should be happy with the results. Don’t worry if something goes awry, follow Charlie Papazian’s advice of not worrying “and have a home brew”. ;)

For sure download the BIABacus from this site, a free Excel file used to plan and track your brews. And I would print out the CBT (Clear Brewing Terminology) Page, as it will make the detailed terminology make sense.

BIABacus: http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869

CBT: http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685

Let us know if you have questions. And for sure, let us know how it goes. :thumbs:
Last edited by Scott on 04 Dec 2017, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8382 made 6 years ago
Hello everyone.

1. Where are you from? Walsall, England
2. How did you stumble across the site? I've been studying up on Biab. Did one last year which was OK and looking to get better
3. What you think of it so far? Great
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using? One Biab, one extract and plenty of kits over the last few years (mostly Wherry). The extract I did was really good so I'm hoping to get my grain brewing to that level :cool:
5. Do you work? Well I go to work. Sometimes I even do some...
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8383 made 6 years ago
First post.

I am a new BIAB brewer from England. I stated with two extract kits, read “Brew” by James Morton, then moved to BIAB. To date I have completed 4 brews, which have all been drinkable. There is room for improvement.....

My USP is that I have recently reopened the village well in my garden and use the water for my brews. I have tested the water and it is free of any lead or pesticides and of course no chlorine.

Hoping to turn a hobby into an obsession!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8385 made 6 years ago
Thanks MS

I know what you mean. Got a six year old (daughter) and an eleven month old (dog) which take up plenty of time. I'm only planning on getting 1 brew per month done (even if it has to be a kit) as that will keep my stocks up high enough. I'm just working through my latest Woodfordes Wherry (popular kit in UK) and I seem to have them nailed down now. My Biab was done last year and ended up a bit thin, strong and under carbonated hence why it has taken me 12 months to get the confidence up to have another go.

Think my mash temp was too low that time so I'll up it a bit andcheck my thermometer is reading correctly. Brew day in a couple of weeks

Post #8386 made 6 years ago
Hello, 

1. Where are you from? Sydney, Australia 
2. How did you stumble across the site? Did a search looking for BIAB recipes, having just started brewing
3. What you think of it so far? Great
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using? In the last month I have done 2 BIAB which both turned out OK 
5. Do you work? I am taking a career break at the moment which has given me a chance to try brewing.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Australia

Post #8387 made 6 years ago
Welcome aboard Siman :salute:

Always great to see a new member from my birth town and great to see you found the site. The site has a lot of great info but the info is quite buried atm so just ask any questions you have and someone is sure to save you from digging.

Enjoy the career break :)
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #8388 made 6 years ago
Hey all!
Been doing BIAB for about 2 years, lurking on this site about 1 year. Finally read through all the site key posts and here I am, looking forward to being fully registered.

Have to say I love this forum--I have found great info here. I stumbled across it when I was looking for info to hone my BIAB process, which I started after it was recommended by my local home-brew supply store. I had been using their kits with steeping grains + DME prior to that.

And yes, I work. I'm blessed to work 3 12-hour shifts per week, which leaves whole days available to plan, brew, and enjoy the fruits of my labors. :yum:

Thank you BIABrewer and all you forum members for your contributions to our craft.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #8390 made 6 years ago
Hello everyone. Extremely glad I found this forum. Been spending the past few months deciding how I wanted to expanding my brewing experience. Lookin for a set up with a small footprint since space is limited for me. Deciding to start with BIAB seems like a great way to see if I want to expand my knowledge and experience of brewing. I can’t wait to learn and hopefully contribute to this forum. Decided to edit this. I didn’t see the post stating some basic information to put in my first post. I’m from PA, near philly. I’m a licensed electrician with 10 years experience in liquid/food processing plants. It’s amaIng how much work has taught me about brewing without even realizing it. Fairly new to brewing but can already tell exract isn’t where I want to stay with it.

Chad
Last edited by c.s89 on 18 Dec 2017, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
    • Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8391 made 6 years ago
Hi Chad, glad you found the forum! BIAB does indeed give you the smallest footprint for All Grain Brewing, and you'll find BIABrewer.info is the benchmark for reliable brewing information. There's a lot to explore here. Start out reading the Clear Brewing Terminology (http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685) so you speak the lingua franca, and then dive in. Do read the Master Guide here http://www.biabrewer.info/viewforum.php?f=25, and you are on your way. Ask lots of questions and you'll get some very well grounded advice. Have fun!
Last edited by Streamer on 17 Dec 2017, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8392 made 6 years ago
1. Where are you from? Illinois, USA
2. How did you stumble across the site? Searching about BIAB method
3. What you think of it so far? This is a bible
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using? Used to do an extract brewing, got bored, didn't like the taste. Now - small batch all grain, excited again.
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household? Do work.

Post #8395 made 6 years ago
Hello, WB. Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder..
Lurk openly now over to http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869 to get the BIABacus and read up on Clear Brewing Terminology http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685 so that we here can help when you have question
Last edited by ShorePoints on 23 Dec 2017, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8396 made 6 years ago
Bill Clancy here! I live in Central California, in beautiful Monterey. I've been brewing since 1983, beginning with awful extract/corn sugar, dried yeast concoctions that only a college student would drink. I stuck with it over the years growing with the homebrew community. Good (Better) extract beer using mini mash and high quality yeast was next, followed by a dive into three tiered fly sparging. I traveled overseas a few years and upon returning to the USA, I returned to my old hobby, but back to a mini mash/extract version. I'm now ready to take a leap into the brave new world of BIAB! The old three tier brewery certainly made some fine beer, but takes a lot of time, equipment, maintenance, and cleanup. I'm looking for all the goods with none of the pain! Help me out here brothers & sisters! :yum:
    • BME Brewer From United States of America

Post #8397 made 6 years ago
Hello Bill Clancy, and welcome to the forum! Monterey is indeed beautiful - one of my favorite places in CA. BIAB is going to be a much simplified brewing method for you, with your background I'll bet you'l produce great beer right away, and it will be a lot calmer process than you've been used to in the past. Do read the basics that Shore Points posted above and you'll be on your way. :thumbs:

Post #8400 made 6 years ago
Hi Everyone,

1. Where are you from? Warrington, UK
2. How did you stumble across the site? Heard it mentioned on an old Beersmith podcast while researching methods to get started with all grain brewing.
3. What you think of it so far? Seems really comprehensive - only scratched the surface so far.
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using? Got into brewing this Autumn with a liquid malt extract kit then followed that up with a fumbled BIAB 1 gallon all grain brew on the stove top. Looking forward to improving my understanding of BIAB and brewing better beer.
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household? Working close by in marketing.

Cheers,

Mike

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 32 guests