Finally Brewed !!!

Post #1 made 7 years ago
Finally got to brew a batch... Long time in the making. Brewed up my Amber Ale on Labor Day weekend , for us Yanks .
Smoked a Pork Butt at the same time. Time ran late, so I put the ale in a clean carboy with an airlock. Had to lower temp to pitching temp which took 3 days, life got in the way so it was 10 days b4 pitching. At 4 days I started seeing krausen, ...did I pick up a wild yeast ???? Not sure .... After 10 days pitched rehydrated US- 05 satchet . 3 days after I've got krausen again in the carboy... Guess I'll find out what it will taste like in a couple of months. I did keep the temp at 68* whilst waiting for a day off to pitch the yeast. I'll raise temp to 72* for last couple of days before cold crashing.
J
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #2 made 7 years ago
It will be interesting to see what you come up with... Hopefully its something that is okay.

I've been going to a homebrew group a couple times a month, and some of the guys have "harvested" natural yeast in their basements, or that kind of thing... Their own "house strains"... Some of the beers produced from it are good, like a Belgian Farmhouse Ale... So for your sake, I hope that's what you wind up with. ;)
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 7 years ago
jhough wrote:Smoked a Pork Butt at the same time
Just out of interest for us "internationals"; Is this a euphemism for smoking marijuana, or is it literally putting pigs ass in a smoker? :scratch: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by mally on 18 Sep 2016, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #5 made 7 years ago
Joe and I are not authorized to smoke mj in Florida. I'm sure a brew day would go south very rapidly, if done.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Post #6 made 7 years ago
Sorry Mally, just a pigs ass.... HAHAHA As MS said .....can't LEGALLY smoke that stuff here in Florida .
My brew day can head south without any help !!!

Post #7 made 7 years ago
WHOOPS :headhit: :headhit: Forgot to update. Wound up leaving fermenter at 68f/20c for 10 days ,
then I raised to 72f/22c . will let it finish and check gravity on Sunday. Will update again.

Post #9 made 7 years ago
Pork was fantastic Tom ! {IMHO} Gravity reading on Sunday was 1.026 :scratch: :think: :scratch:
not sure why, but , guess no wild yeast . Will give a good shake and let go till Thursday or Friday as I had to do the "old man " procedures today and still a little weak. I'll probably keep temp in the 72f/22c range till then. Once I figure out how to post a file I'll put it up.
J

Post #10 made 7 years ago
oooppps sorry , TODD !!! See what happens when you go for your close up ??Guess the anesthesia hasn't worn off yet....

Return to “BIABrewer Old Hands”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 28 guests