Office Water Cooler/Heater Brewing Possibilities

Post #1 made 8 years ago
I was getting some office supplies today and noticed that they had office water cooler and heaters for sale for AU$75 (US$53 at time of writing).
Water Cooler.jpg
There was also another cooler/fridge unit for AU$245 (US$173 at time of writing).
Water Cooler and Fridge.jpg
The fridge is tiny so forget that but the idea of a water cooler/heater on top of a "wine" (read fermentation temperature) or bar fridge certainly got the cogs turning. (Just had another quick look online and there are lots of different units and prices.)

The cold water comes out at 8-12C (46/54F) and hot at 88-95C (190/203F).

I haven't got time to explore this atm but I think there could be lots of possibilities here once the following questions are answered (more pics here)...

1. I think these coolers take only 12l (quart) bottles - no boxes were open. Can they take larger bottles? If not, are dispensers for 20L bottles much more expensive?
2. If you hold the tap open, will it continually dispense hot or cold water?
3. Are they efficient or do they cost a lot in electricity to run?

Depending on the answers above, I can see lots of uses in brewing....

On the hot side, heating strike water, adding hot dilutions and cleaning come to mind.
On the cold side, chilling might be a possibility.
On the fridge side, depending on your circumstances, it could be used for anything from fermentation through to just a normal fridge?

As for the water bottle, this could also be used as a fermentor.

I'm out of action for several days so apologies if I don't acknowledge your posts. Hopefully though there could be something in this. What do you reckon? Can anyone test out Q2 above at work?

:think:
PP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 09 Feb 2016, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #2 made 8 years ago
To answer question 2.They only heat and cool what water is in the coil or collector. I think mine may be a liter at a time.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #3 made 8 years ago
2. If you hold the tap open, will it continually dispense hot or cold water?
I found an office cooler for US$370 that gives good product details on recovery times.

The ones you posted don't tell us anything about this. Their details/specs are size and weight :idiot:
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 12 Feb 2016, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 8 years ago
For office cooler at US$230 you get;
20L bottle
Makes 6L (1.6 gal) of very cold water every hour
Makes 5 L (1.3 gal) of piping hot water every hour

Post #5 made 8 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:I found an office cooler for US$370 that gives good product details on recovery times.

The ones you posted don't tell us anything about this. Their details/specs are size and weight :idiot:

Am I the only one that sees the irony here? :lol:
Last edited by thughes on 12 Feb 2016, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
WWBBD?

Post #6 made 8 years ago
I would call those low integrity water coolers!
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #7 made 8 years ago
:lol:

Thanks guys for looking into that. Probably pretty stupid of me thinking that something so cheap would provide continuous hot or cold water :headhit:.

Would have been great for me if it did though as I really want to get down to smaller batches so I can brew more often. My set-up atm, while it may seem like a dream to many brewers, is just too big. A brew day for me is two systems operating at the same time which yields 4 fermentors/cubes @ 21 litres/quarts each. It's been fun being able to brew that much and do lots of different side by side experiments but it produces way too much beer unless I want people dropping in every day.

My next venture might be in to urn brewing or even stove-top!

Thanks again :peace:,
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “BIABrewer Old Hands”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 4 guests