What is the extract potential of potato and rice?

Post #1 made 11 years ago
Does anybody happen to know the extract potentials of potatoes & rice?
I have read that potato has about 1/5 carbohydrate (20%) maybe 8ppg, not sure about rice possibly similar :scratch:

I have been designing a recipe in the BIABacus, but adjusting the figures to give you the correct ppg in the adjustable section (Y) is not the right way to go about it. I guess i need to know what the FGDB & MC are for these.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 11 years ago
You going all hillbilly on us Mally and running a still now making moonshine ??

Spuds have a lot of water content which probably varies across variety, I'd think a waxy potato (thats a potato for our American friends ;) )will have slightly less than a starchy variety.

As to extract :think: I think if you can't find any info you may be able to experiment and find out for yourself.

Rice is out there, I'll have a think where I saw it.

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 11 years ago
Thanks Yeasty, Kind of HillBilly(ish) :shock: I am looking at doing an Idaho SMaSH.

I am having particular trouble with the BIABacus settings though. It has to be my understanding (which is wrong).

As an example; if i want 50% malt 50% potato as fermentables, i would expect something like 2Kg malt & 8Kg potato, but I am getting the other way 4Kg malt & 1Kg potato :scratch:

BTW - i am not saying this is my recipe; i just want the info correct so i can then design something. Any slight variations with variety are not a huge problem either, as long as i am in the right ball park area.

If i knew what those cells were doing I may be better able to understand whats going on.
G B

Post #4 made 11 years ago
Scratch that Yeasty, I think i have got it now. :clap:
I still need to know what the ball park figures for FGDB & MC would be for potatoes & rice though, so if anybody has any insights i would appreciate it.

For reference here is the beginnings of the recipe design
BIABacus PR1.1E -Idaho SMaSH.xlsx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mally on 16 Jan 2013, 18:20, edited 2 times in total.
G B

Post #6 made 11 years ago
Thanks Joshua

For reference, the potato at 35ppg is for the dried, so i stuck with around 8ppg for raw in my recipe.
I am also presuming rice at 32ppg dried is going to be similar as grain in terms of extract potential in the BIABacus.

I think i will do the rice recipe first, just to check how well i can get conversion with the malt of choice.
The malt i will be using is 60L (Lintner/180Wk), with a 65% malt 35% rice ratio, keeping me close but above the 30/35 diastatic recommendation.
I will be mashing for a long time, just in case.

My only reason for these recipes apart from having a session lager is to see how pale i can get the beer.

Here is the recipe if anybody is interested.
BIABacus PR1.1E -SMaSHing rice.xlsx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mally on 16 Jan 2013, 20:45, edited 2 times in total.
G B

Post #7 made 11 years ago
Mally, This is a good PALE ale/lager, I always make thee Ale version.

Some call the Lager "American Mega Swill", and refer to the ALE as "Fizzy Yellow P&ss" But, it will be a Hoppy/silghtly malty/Lite to UltraLite brew.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8 made 11 years ago
Is your recipe similar then Joshua? I Would be interested to know your version.
Some call the Lager "American Mega Swill"
Without trying to cause too much animosity, i actually don't mind what people call "megaswill" :o
Admittedly they aren't my first choice of beer, but i don't consider them bad either. I think everything has it's place.
Last edited by mally on 17 Jan 2013, 17:12, edited 2 times in total.
G B

Post #9 made 11 years ago
Mally, at this time of America's year, I make a few batchs of 60% 6-row barley, and 40% Rice(ground and cooked) and a batch of 60% 6-row barley and 20% rice aand 20% corn(Polenta)ground with both the corn and rice are cearal cooked and added to the mash.

The recipes call for Tettnang or Fuggles Hops with Ibu around 30-35 and a O.G. between 1.040 and 1.050

The first batch is a "Mega Swil" clone(ale) and the 2nd is a "Falstaff/Olympia" or "American Malt Liquor" Clone(ale).

For a laugh look at http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php ... 335&p=7747

If you have the time and equipment Lagering makes these make a very believable clones.

Post #10 made 11 years ago
You can even substitute instant rice "Minute Rice" and use it straight in your mash without having to cook it first.
WWBBD?

Post #11 made 11 years ago
Tod, Your are correct, and I have seen instant Plain Grits available for Polenta/Corn meal.

But, I am an old fart, and like to cook a gallon of Adjunts and add the 190F water to the 59F mash, and start brewing around 130F.

Post #12 made 11 years ago
I use flaked maize from the LHBS + minute rice for that fizzy yellow swill recipe, my Budweiser-drinking friends love it! The flavor bores the hell out of me but I can impress my buddies with my brewing prowess and it only costs @ $5.00 USD for me to make a 5 gallon batch.
WWBBD?

Post #13 made 11 years ago
Thanks guys, quite interesting info there.
I liked beachbums post, though don't think i would try that recipe.

One idea i have been toying with, is to brew this with no hops. Not only would it be more like the "lite" styles, but i could try various hop teas to see which i like, and what suits light beers/my tastes.

Todd - I have seen the instant & pregelatinised adjuncts too, but the normal rice here is much cheaper (40P/Kilo) or ($0.3/Lb). I don't really want to spend too much on this experiment :lol:
G B

Return to “BIABrewer Old Hands”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 25 guests