My new project

Post #1 made 11 years ago
I picked this freezer up on the weekend. Its about to become my new keggorator. Its 340L and I can fit 7 kegs in, plus with a gas bottle or some beer bottles on the compressor hump.

The only drawback is that it is angled from back to front which makes the carpentry job of making a collar just that little bit harder. Ive got most of the tools, but my carpentry skills are sometimes pretty dodgy.. I need to work out how the taps are going to fit etc

I spent a lot of time on the weekend staring at this this thing and holding back on hacking into it or doing anything stupid. I now think i will build the front side up to the same height as the back with timber (about 70mm), I can then mount the taps in the timber and also put a flat top on it and get rid of the glass sliding doors. Well thats todays plan anyway
IMG-20120701-00006.jpg
IMG-20120701-00008.jpg
IMG-20120701-00009.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Aces high on 03 Jul 2012, 13:34, edited 4 times in total.

Post #2 made 11 years ago
Nice score!
yes, that angle looks like something that needs to be worked around...
good luck!
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #3 made 11 years ago
Good Gay, If you have a level floor, you can use a carpenter's level to measure the difference from the front/back, then that will give the shape of the sides.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 11 years ago
Yep, that is a nice score :thumbs:.

The two sliding glass doors have got me thinking about ease of access to remove kegs etc :scratch:. In some ways this is quite advantageous compared to lifting a whole lid up.

Another alternative to timber might be MDF board which you can get in stainless steel type finishes. (In other words, you could get the whole unit looking like a stainless steel unit.) If you want, I'll find out the material cost of this before Saturday. Labour cost would be very little as I can get a mate to cut it all out on a C&C and then edge the parts which could then be easily put together.

Bring some pics of it on Saturday ;)
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 11 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:Yep, that is a nice score :thumbs:.

The two sliding glass doors have got me thinking about ease of access to remove kegs etc :scratch:. In some ways this is quite advantageous compared to lifting a whole lid up.

Another alternative to timber might be MDF board which you can get in stainless steel type finishes. (In other words, you could get the whole unit looking like a stainless steel unit.) If you want, I'll find out the material cost of this before Saturday. Labour cost would be very little as I can get a mate to cut it all out on a C&C and then edge the parts which could then be easily put together.

Bring some pics of it on Saturday ;)
Damn I should have talked to you first Pat, its all about who you know ;) I got home and got started on things this afternoon. Its starting to come together. I was thinking of painting the whole thing white enamel gloss and respraying the few marks and dings on the base with a enamel spray can just to clean it up. The base isn't perfect and its a few years old. Spending a lot of money on it might be the equivalent of polishing a turd.

I haven't seen the stainless look MDF, does it look real-ish or can you tell that its not stainless?
Perth-20120703-00014.jpg
Perth-20120703-00012.jpg
Perth-20120703-00011.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Aces high on 03 Jul 2012, 21:08, edited 4 times in total.

Post #6 made 11 years ago
Wow! You are creaming it in Stu!!!

The stainless steel is actually SS laminate but I think it's probably a few hundred bucks per 18mm x2400 x 1200 sheet off the top of my head (I'm not up on this) so you might have been polishing the proverbial :lol:. (Mind you, painting can often cost the same at the end of the day).

But it looks like you are going ahead beautifully. Give me a call re the painting as there's some enamel paints around that lie very flat and can look like two-pack.

Glad to see you have a level to make absolutely sure there is no chance your beer will fall over :lol: :lol: :lol:.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #7 made 11 years ago
Stu I have a smaller vrsion of this that I am planning to use as a fermentation chamber.Can you tell me how you got the glass out?I thought I would be able to push it up far enough into the top groove to release it from the bottom groove.No go,it looks like if I want if off Im going to need a bigger hammer!I don't mind the sliders but I can only fit carboys and corny's through the opening,not a bucket.
AWOL

Post #8 made 11 years ago
Looking good! Your carpentry skills are above mine! Your going to have fun with this project. Take your time with it and think out your moves. Don't force anything! Just get a bigger hammer!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!

Post #9 made 11 years ago
Lylo wrote:Stu I have a smaller vrsion of this that I am planning to use as a fermentation chamber.Can you tell me how you got the glass out?I thought I would be able to push it up far enough into the top groove to release it from the bottom groove.No go,it looks like if I want if off Im going to need a bigger hammer!I don't mind the sliders but I can only fit carboys and corny's through the opening,not a bucket.
Sorry Lylo, mine is quite simple to take the glass out. If you slide a door to the middle there is a cut away in the top rail and it just lifts out. Doesn't sound like yours is going to be that easy.
Last edited by Aces high on 04 Jul 2012, 17:00, edited 4 times in total.

Post #10 made 11 years ago
Well its been a while in the planning and organising, but I finally got my perlick taps from America last thursday, and the missus headed to sydney for a couple of days. So I pretty much spent the whole weekend in the shed. I'll take some better photos when i have a chance. I had to build the complete new top as the glass sliding doors were just never going to work.
I still need to wire in a fan and tidy things up a bit, but its now officially pouring beer :thumbs:
Keggorator.jpg
Last edited by Aces high on 20 Aug 2012, 12:05, edited 4 times in total.

Post #11 made 11 years ago
still needs some fixing up on the inside, but its pouring beers now :party:
Perth-20120820-00032.jpg
Perth-20120820-00033.jpg
Perth-20120820-00035.jpg
Last edited by Aces high on 20 Aug 2012, 18:57, edited 4 times in total.

Post #12 made 11 years ago
Good on you Stu! Looks like you got the tapered top sorted really well :peace:. Flow control taps and even a gas manifold :o.

:thumbs:

What's the keg tagging system you have going there?

Post #13 made 11 years ago
Aces high,

Good job. Well done. Now the "work" of keeping it full. Perth has a new watering hole and PP has a place to go!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!

Post #14 made 11 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:Good on you Stu! Looks like you got the tapered top sorted really well :peace:. Flow control taps and even a gas manifold :o.

:thumbs:

What's the keg tagging system you have going there?
The keg tagging system consists of some photo printer paper and a stapler. Simple is best
BobBrews wrote:Aces high,

Good job. Well done. Now the "work" of keeping it full. Perth has a new watering hole and PP has a place to go!
Yep PP's already told me he's in for the christining..which im thinking might be this weekend, i hope the current stash is up to the challenge :pray:
Last edited by Aces high on 20 Aug 2012, 20:51, edited 4 times in total.

Post #15 made 11 years ago
i love it!
whats the fan for?
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #16 made 11 years ago
shibolet wrote:i love it!
whats the fan for?
The fan is to keep the air moving around so you get even temperatures. It also means the taps stay colder. without out the fan you get a few degrees difference between the top and the bottom of the unit. I haven't mounted the fan yet, so its currently just sitting on top of one of the kegs. Thats tomorrows job!
Last edited by Aces high on 20 Aug 2012, 21:04, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Kegging”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests