kegerator taps

Post #1 made 12 years ago
hi been putting every thing together to build a kegerator from a chest freezer and wondering what taps people prefer or should stay away from Im looking to buy something thats not cheap and nasty aslo in stainless
Ah, beer, my one weakness. My achille's heel, if you will..........

Post #2 made 12 years ago
Are you going to build a "collar" or go with towers on the lid?

I'd check out the stainless Perlick taps. They are supposed to be better for microbial reasons with the forward sealing feature. They have a creamer tap I'd like to check out too.

Post #3 made 12 years ago
i use the stainless Perlick taps. i recommend them
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #5 made 12 years ago
Only thing you really need to know is to get Perlicks ;)

Forward sealing means your taps won't gum up, there won't be rancid beer trapped in the body between sessions and you won't have to clean them as often (because you won't!)

I just give my Perlicks a spray of starsan up their spouts after a session and when I tear them down they're always clean still!
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #6 made 12 years ago
stux wrote:Only thing you really need to know is to get Perlicks ;)

Forward sealing means your taps won't gum up, there won't be rancid beer trapped in the body between sessions and you won't have to clean them as often (because you won't!)
A big +1 on that! I had never given much thought to cleaning the taps. As soon as a keg was gone I took another out of storage. Recently one of my taps started "jetting?" beer out as if it was being forced through a smaller opening? I finally conceded that I would actually have to do some maintenance on my system! YEOWHEE!!! Upon dissembling my taps I found growths that would make a vulture throw up! Now I clean after each keg because I have too!

I have learned my lesson. Never buy cheap taps just to get it completed! Forward sealing is a much better way to go! If money is tight than buy one at a time! You will save cleaning time in the long run.

My beer doesn't seem so "complex" now that I have clean taps? However, I don't have to spit chunks of beer out either!
Last edited by BobBrews on 28 Feb 2012, 03:57, edited 3 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #7 made 12 years ago
i use the older perlick 425SS which has the threaded nozzle.. people make smaller id spouts, hose barbs for bottling, etc that can go in them. any forward seal faucet is ideal. the creamer of the perlick 575 is sorta a joke. fill half glass, rest down center. at end just crack faucet open for thick head. drink!
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '11]

Post #8 made 12 years ago
Agee about the creamer being a joke, and I have one! PITA
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda

5/7/12

Post #11 made 12 years ago
jakethesnake559 wrote:Perlick 525SS...great tap.
Got mine imported from the US for around $55 including postage.
Did $55 include the shank as well or just the tap head?
Last edited by Aces high on 05 Mar 2012, 03:26, edited 3 times in total.

Post #12 made 12 years ago
I ordered four from farmhouse brewing supply

4x 575SS + 4x 4" SS Shanks + 4 tap handles

Came to 65$ each delivered

5/7/12

Post #13 made 12 years ago
stux wrote:I ordered four from farmhouse brewing supply

damn, thats good. Ive currently got 2 cheapie taps on my keggerator, might get a couple of perlicks now to give me 4 taps then replace the cheapies later on
Last edited by Aces high on 05 Mar 2012, 14:56, edited 3 times in total.

Post #14 made 12 years ago
Aces high wrote:
stux wrote:I ordered four from farmhouse brewing supply

damn, thats good. Ive currently got 2 cheapie taps on my keggerator, might get a couple of perlicks now to give me 4 taps then replace the cheapies later on
With farmhouse, you save your cart, and then email for a postage quote. Their auto generated one is rubbish
Last edited by stux on 06 Mar 2012, 07:57, edited 3 times in total.

5/7/12

Post #15 made 12 years ago
Aces high wrote:
jakethesnake559 wrote:Perlick 525SS...great tap.
Got mine imported from the US for around $55 including postage.
Did $55 include the shank as well or just the tap head?
Didn't include the shank...you are probably looking at around $20 for a 4" SS shank.
Just checked my ebay records...the tap itself was $42.57 (+ $12.93 postage).
Basic tap handles are less than $10.

Looks like stux is definately on a winner at $65 for the lot :clap: !!
Last edited by jakethesnake559 on 31 Mar 2012, 12:01, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Kegging”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 21 guests