Post #3 made 12 years ago
zapzapper,
Obviously you save on inside space by placing your C02 outside your refrigerator. The regulates are made for use with moisture in mind. Having the tank on the outside has two big problems. One, people play with the knobs. They know better but they do it anyway. Two, less skilled people will puncture the freon lines and ruin the fridge while try to drill a hole (that may leak). I have two tanks. One is in the fridge active and the other is full (hopefully) and spare. I have a four way distribution valve inside for three working taps and a "Next up" keg. I also have a second valve that is for high pressure to get kegs started or flooding a keg pryer to filling.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Drill Fridge Freezer

Post #4 made 12 years ago
I've never actually heard of anyone keeping their CO2 bottle in the fridge. The only reason I can think of for doing this is if, like Bob, you lived in a very cold climate. In other words, the fridge would actually keep your bottle warm!

Have I got this right or is there another reason to keep your bottle in the fridge???

As for drilling holes in your fridges, before you drill, open the fridge door and let the fridge run for 15 to 30 minutes (maybe forever if you have the same winter as BobBrews - lol). After this time you can 'feel' the sides of your fridge. You will notice hot lines. These hot lines tell you where the cooling pipes are. Don't drill there!

Even when you do drill, use a small drill bit and just penetrate the outer metal skin. Once you are through, use wire to 'feel around' before you go all the way through with a bigger drill bit or hole-saw.

:peace:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 12 years ago
PP,

I keep the tank in the fridge for convenience and nothing more. I can re-purpose the fridge back to a food holder rather than a beer holder! I can fit five kegs plus the tank now! I don't drink "That" much beer!

For drilling in a fridge I remember something about mixing up some powder (flour?) with water and painting the mixture on the side of the fridge. The colder (or hotter) temperatures will cause a pattern of the lines to appear on the wall? It's on the web somewhere in converting a refrigerator?
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #6 made 12 years ago
thanks for all the help i had it inside a few years back when i was doing extract and now i am starting up again and was thinking about putting it on the outside for more room i have built me a all grain biab brewer so what u are saying that the coils are on the sides of the ref. too that is where that i was going to drill the hole for the tube to go thru are thay also in the front door of the ref. too if so i guess i was lucky when i drilled for the tap because i was going to add some more taps to the front door too

thanks
Roger

Post #7 made 12 years ago
Good Day Rodger(zapzapper), All "Fridges" I have worked on have NO coils in the door.

Many older, smaller, Fridges have most of the coils inside toward the top, around the freezer section and very few toward the bottom half.

Sometimes you can remove the Inside Plastic pieces and see if there are any coils behind them.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #8 made 12 years ago
my co2 tank is in my keg fridge. it's fine that way.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #9 made 12 years ago
Never actually heard of anyone having an issue with the c02 bottle in the fridge
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #11 made 12 years ago
First off, I keep my CO2 in the fridge because my wife uses the fridge as a spare back-up and would hurt me bad if I went drilling holes. However, I read the owners manual of a kegerator that I want to purchase and it claims that you use twice the amount of CO2 when it's cold than when at room temperature. So they have a bracket on the back and a hole for the line. At least that's what they say anyway.
Me personally have no issues because I bought a second CO2 tank to switch out when it's gone. I have no clue if I'm using too much CO2 or not. I just enjoy the beer! One thing is for sure, if you have a gauge that shows "CO2 remaining" it is useless inside the fridge.
Yep, I was no help at all but that's my input. :roll:

Post #12 made 12 years ago
Ziggybrew wrote:One thing is for sure, if you have a gauge that shows "CO2 remaining" it is useless inside the fridge.
Ziggy, why is that?
Last edited by shibolet on 05 Feb 2012, 22:35, edited 3 times in total.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #14 made 12 years ago
shibolet wrote:
Ziggybrew wrote:One thing is for sure, if you have a gauge that shows "CO2 remaining" it is useless inside the fridge.
Ziggy, why is that?
Don't know why for sure. When I first used my dual tap set-up from Midwest Supply I thought the gauge was broke because it showed empty. Midwest said that was normal and they only work at room temperature, not when inside the fridge. I guess the gauge is not calibrated to the density of cold CO2 on a 5 pound bottle. :scratch:
Last edited by Ziggybrew on 07 Feb 2012, 02:02, edited 3 times in total.

Post #15 made 12 years ago
The gas takes less space when cold and thus shows a lower pressure?I know when I take my tank out of the chest the pressure on the gauge always goes up.
AWOL

Post #16 made 12 years ago
I was told to put my tank in the freezer before taking it to be filled. The gas took less space when cold so you get more when you fill it? My guy weigh's my tank before so I guess that's not true?
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #17 made 12 years ago
That's right BobBrews you will get more gas in a cold tank as it takes less room. One of the places I get mine filled will leave it in their coolroom overnight while decanting to maximise the amount of gas that you can put in there. With my larger 6 kilo bottle they reckon you will be lucky to get 4 kilos in there at room temp before it is full.

Post #18 made 12 years ago
Hippy wrote:That's right BobBrews you will get more gas in a cold tank as it takes less room. One of the places I get mine filled will leave it in their coolroom overnight while decanting to maximise the amount of gas that you can put in there. With my larger 6 kilo bottle they reckon you will be lucky to get 4 kilos in there at room temp before it is full.
I'm screwed, my gas guy has me drop it off and pick it up the next afternoon when they get to it. :headhit:
Last edited by Ziggybrew on 09 Feb 2012, 06:51, edited 3 times in total.

Post #19 made 12 years ago
Ziggybrew wrote: I'm screwed, my gas guy has me drop it off and pick it up the next afternoon when they get to it. :headhit:
Have you ever tried to expedite the process by offering a few bottles of homebrew in exchange for "fill while you wait" service? :idiot:
Last edited by thughes on 09 Feb 2012, 06:57, edited 3 times in total.
WWBBD?

Post #20 made 12 years ago
I use a fire extinguisher guy to fill it. He drops what he is doing for me. $5 for a 5lb refill! I called about a regular tank refill place and they said "next day, maybe"!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Return to “Kegging”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 7 guests