Post #2 made 8 years ago
OldGit, to paraphrase the Movie "Jaws", your going to need a Bigger Kettle.

You will need to Hold back about 14L of TWN from the Mash, and Add that amount Back to the Kettle as "Water Added before the Boil" in section 'W'

In other words, nearly 1/4 of your "Volume into the Boil"(VIB) will never Touch the Grains.

It may be better to Mash in a 100L "Esky", transfer the Sweet liquor to your Kettle.

It would be a full Volume Mash in a Bag process. 2 vessel Brewing.

JMHO, Others will have better Ideas!
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 8 years ago
From a BJCP stand point your OG is bit high (1.062-1.075) as is FG (1.008-1.018). On the IBU a strong is looking for 15-30 you have double that.

I usually try and stay within the BJCP unless experimenting. I think unless you are competing the real goal is a good tasting beer. ;)

On the grains – your percentage of specialty malts/sugar seems low – only 7% - I would think you would want a higher percentage of “sugars”. Maybe bring down the Pilsner to 70-75% and add in some cane sugar 10-15%. Up the aromatic malt to say 5%
Your yeast temperature seems a bit high, more like saison temperature – but not sure what yeast you’re using to say – just make sure you check the specifications on the yeast you’re using. Regardless, I would start the yeast out at a lower temp then spec says and let it rise up – pitch in the mid 60s and rise up to the 70s.

Just some quick thoughts...
Pete
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 8 years ago
I'd cut the batch size in half and see if I like the final product before going to 10 gallons with an unknown recipe. Just my .02....

---Todd
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 8 years ago
joshua wrote:OldGit, to paraphrase the Movie "Jaws", your going to need a Bigger Kettle.

You will need to Hold back about 14L of TWN from the Mash, and Add that amount Back to the Kettle as "Water Added before the Boil" in section 'W'

In other words, nearly 1/4 of your "Volume into the Boil"(VIB) will never Touch the Grains.

It may be better to Mash in a 100L "Esky", transfer the Sweet liquor to your Kettle.

It would be a full Volume Mash in a Bag process. 2 vessel Brewing.

JMHO, Others will have better Ideas!
Opps I did not notice the 81litre bit, thanks :clap:
Last edited by Oldgit on 23 May 2016, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post #6 made 8 years ago
Brew4me wrote:From a BJCP stand point your OG is bit high (1.062-1.075) as is FG (1.008-1.018). On the IBU a strong is looking for 15-30 you have double that.

I usually try and stay within the BJCP unless experimenting. I think unless you are competing the real goal is a good tasting beer. ;)

On the grains – your percentage of specialty malts/sugar seems low – only 7% - I would think you would want a higher percentage of “sugars”. Maybe bring down the Pilsner to 70-75% and add in some cane sugar 10-15%. Up the aromatic malt to say 5%
Your yeast temperature seems a bit high, more like saison temperature – but not sure what yeast you’re using to say – just make sure you check the specifications on the yeast you’re using. Regardless, I would start the yeast out at a lower temp then spec says and let it rise up – pitch in the mid 60s and rise up to the 70s.

Just some quick thoughts...
Pete
Can you explain more about the ibu's
Biabacus says 60 ? ? , but I'am having a real problem understanding ibu's
Last edited by Oldgit on 23 May 2016, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8 made 8 years ago
For IBUs I would keep it simple starting out - BIABacus helps a lot - under section D there is a place to enter desired IBUs, just plug in the number you want, so for a Belgian Strong ale I would put in a number between 15 and 30. After you brew and taste test you can tweak the next brew, and the next, and the next... :thumbs:
IBU attempts to but a number to the bitterness but the reality is that attaching a number to the sensory aspects of our perception of hop bitterness is challenging, mystic, future science... etc.
The way I see it, IBU gives you a general idea of the bitterness expected - when I think of different recipes I think "ranges in bitterness" that I want. Calculating/measuring it is a challenge, there are three calculations that I know of Tinseth (BIABacus uses), Rager, and Garetz. They all provide a number from a calculation all likely different from a laboratory measurement.

Sticking to one type of calculation lets you develop an understanding of how your beer will come out, helps you maintain consistency (which I believe is the whole purpose of the IBU) - and you adjust from there based on if you want more or less bitterness. I think tinseth is the most commonly used.

I read somewhere Tinseth was a homebrewer (gets points there) and developed it while studying for his PhD in Chemistry. (useless information :sneak: )

I think what you will hear from others is - chill on the IBU calculations - figure out your system first, get some recipes under your belt, pay attention to your main ingredients, and you will brew better and better tasting beer. Consistent brewing practice is more important than which formula to use...

So, on the keep it simple (I am a follower of the KISS model), if you want a Belgian Strong - look up the judging specifications (which :blush: I early gave you the Belgian Blonde specs :blush: , a Belgian Golden Strong is OG (1.070-1.095) FG (1.005-1.016) and IBU 22-35 (sorry on that) - Ask yourself what numbers in those ranges you want and plug them into BIABacus. In this case and IBU of 30 works -plug it into BIABacus, brew, taste and tweak recipe, brew again - never ends - like the instructions on the shampoo - lather, rinse, repeat... brew, taste, repeat

Pete
(oh yeah - reminder - search the site, there have been some good discussions on this, form which I learned)
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #10 made 8 years ago
Where should I input suger in biabacus
Also will it automatically ajust the abv
Sorry to be so slow at this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #11 made 8 years ago
All you need to do with "sugars" is put a B in the field beside them and this (see below*).

The BIABacus will not adjust the ABV as the BIABacus works on end results. What I am saying here is other brewing software generally says, "Put in your ingredients and weights and I will tell you what to expect."

The BIABacus works the opposite way, "Tell me your ingredients and what you want and I will tell you what weights to use." This makes things super-easy for the brewer but really hard for software (some try it with scaling etc but they still can't do it properly).

A lot of education is based on the limits of "static" brewing software and I think you have been exposed to that.

In other words, if designing a recipe, look at percentages of malts/sugars (and type those percentages into the left of the BIABacus) because you should be thinking percentages, not weights. The right-hand side of the BIABacus will tell you what actual weights to buy/use.

*One other Important Thing

Sugar contributes far more to original gravity than grains do so, if using sugars or extracts, you must make an adjustment in Section Y of the BIABacus. I have done that for you.

In reality, I should have probably added a bit of moisture content (maybe 4% depending on the climate you are in) as very few of us would have table sugar that is perfectly dry. What I have done is definitely close enough and fiddling with it would only make a tiny change.

Also study the other post I just (well, before I started writing this one :dunno:) wrote to you in the other thread. That's important.

I've put "Unoffical PP" in this file as I have not examined the premise of this recipe at all. It might be great or garbage. The other guys above though will have picked up on any garbage so all should be ;).
PP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 24 May 2016, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Creating Your Own Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 19 guests