Conversion help+ stupid questions

Post #1 made 9 years ago
I've been trying to gather how to use BIABicus for coverting a recipe, but I'm still baffled? What is the "calculator" meant for, and is there a way to import the files here in a cleaner format, like many have done, as a simple list or so? Also, if I start just writing up the particulars froma recipe I want to use, will the BIABicus work "just like that"?

I would like to try as my second brew the "Old Nut CAse Brown ALe" from the book "Radical Brewing". I would just like to scale it up so that I would be left with 30 liters going to the fermenter (VIF?).

Here are the particulars:

gravity:1.067(16P)
alcohol: 5-5.8%
color: brownish amber
bitterness:26 IBU
yeast: English ale
maturation: 8-12 weeks

65% mild ale malt
12% biscuit/amber malt
4% brown ale malt

hops (19L batch):
90 min. 21g Northern Brewer 7%
20 min. 14g Northdown 6.5%

Mash at 69.5C for 45min.

+add a cup of lightly toasted walnuts or pecans, finely ground, to the mash (I wonder at what point these should be added?)

Why are we using 90 minute boils and mashes, as opposed to the 60 minute ones that seem to be more usual with the "main stream" all-grain brewing? Is it to gain a better efficiency for what is lost for not lautering?

Thanks again.
"The rules for making hop additions during the boil are about as well defined as those for a knife fight." -Stan Hieronymus

Post #2 made 9 years ago
Onkel - I am not sure I follow your question very well.

The "calculator" was the predecessor to the BIABacus, so definitely make sure you are not using that.

The Latest BIABacus version is available here.

The best thing to do is try and fill in the spreadsheet yourself, as you will have all the information we won't (your equipment, recipe) etc.
You can then either print out the recipe report (this maybe what you have seen previously) and/or attach the file.
To print the report just look a the tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet, click the recipe report tab, and there are instuctions on what to do there.

Basically, 90 minute mashes will give you better conversion, and 90 minute boils better beer (OK possibly). Maybe have a read of this article from Bavarian Brewery tech here.

I have fortunately never been involved in the antiquated 3 vessel systems, but I have heard that their 60 minute mashes are more like 60 minutes plus a few hours (OK joke again)! This is due to them not considering vorlauf and sparging as being part of the mash (even thought it is in effect).
Oh... and by the way, I must remember to not use any of your recipes, as my LHBS cannot get your special ingredients :lol:
Last edited by mally on 09 Aug 2014, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Oh, my dog's nuts were removed years ago, so he won't do any good in this recipe. ;)
"The rules for making hop additions during the boil are about as well defined as those for a knife fight." -Stan Hieronymus

Return to “Creating Your Own Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 29 guests