Saison recipe help

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Hi all. Trying my first saison recipe this weekend. I've ordered everything and just read that bohemian pilsner malt may require stepped mashing? Is this suitable for biab method or should I substitute with a different malt?

Bohemian pilsner malt 77.3% ebc4
Pale wheat malt 13.6% ebc3
Caramunich malt 4.5% ebc90
Flaked oats 4.5% ebc3

Tettnang & EK Goldings hops with some orange blossom honey & fresh ground pepper in just before end of boil. Saison yeast from Brewlab yeast slant.

Thanks all.

Post #2 made 10 years ago
BIAB is easy to step mash especially if you have a pulley. It won't hurt to miss a protein rest but you would be better off going for say a 20 minute rest at 50 C / 122 F. After that either raise your bag until you reach the main mash temperature otherwise you will have to keep stirring as the heat rises form 50 C to whatever you are mashing at.

The recipe here is very vague. Either use the BIABacus Recipe Report or at least include critical info such as OG, AA%, hop weights and times, mash temp and schedule, volume into fermentor you want and kettle losses you have allowed for.

We'll have a new BIABacus out soon with some much better help so when tht is out, gt stuck into it.

:luck:,
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Creating Your Own Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 32 guests