Belgian Golden Strong Ale - first BIAB/BIABacus - Thoughts?

Post #1 made 10 years ago
File edited to use 1.3K version of BIABacus.

This is my first run at an AG and a BIAB. I've been playing with BIABacus a bit lately and would like to see if anyone could look this over and see if I've made any major errors.
Based on another Strong Ale thread on this site I have adjusted section Y for the table sugar and section X for the Auto Kettle Efficiency.
I think what's messing with my head is that I don't know what the original recipe's EoBV-A is, unless it's the 5.5 gallon batch size. Maybe somebody can clarify this for me.

I welcome all feedback. I don't want to tweak this too much from an ingredient standpoint, right now I'm mainly concerned with weights, volumes, etc.
I do think the 6.0% ABV that BIABacus is giving me for this a bit weak for the style, so after I fully understand my weights and volumes in BIABacus I'll tweak the grain inputs to get it to around 7-7.5%

This is the original AG Recipe: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/belgian ... ng-250255/

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity
Yeast Starter: 2L Starter
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 22.1
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 4.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): Pitched at 62 and rose to 74 over course of a week, kept at 72 until FG was reached
Additional Fermentation: Bottle Conditioned
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): N/a

7 pounds Rahr Pale 2 Row
5 pounds Castle Pilsner
1 pound White Wheat Malt
2 cups Plain White Table Sugar

Mashed 6.5 Gallons @ 150 for 60 minutes
Batch Sparged 2 Gallons @ 170 for 20 minutes

0.5 Ounces Saaz 5.8% AAU @ 60
0.5 Ounces Saaz 5.8% AAU @ 23
1 Ounces Saaz 5.8% AAU @ 5
0.6 TSP Wyeast Yeast Nutrient
1 Tab Whirflock @ 15 minutes

[center]BIABacus Pre-Release 1.3K RECIPE REPORT[/center]
[center]BIAB Recipe Designer, Calculator and Scaler.[/center]
[center](Please visit http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the latest version.)[/center]
[center]Belgian Brother Golden Strong Ale - Batch 5[/center]

Recipe Overview

Brewer: Bill
Style: Belgian Strong
Source Recipe Link:
ABV: 6% (assumes any priming sugar used is diluted.)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.062
IBU's (Tinseth): 18.4
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.3
Colour: 6.7 EBC = 3.4 SRM

Kettle Efficiency (as in EIB and EAW): 80 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 72.1 %

Note: This is a Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash)

Times and Temperatures

Mash: 90 mins at 68 C = 154.4 F
Boil: 90 min
Ferment: 21 days at 22 C = 71.6 F

Volumes & Gravities
(Note that VAW below is the Volume at Flame-Out (VFO) less shrinkage.)
The, "Clear Brewing Terminology," thread at http://www.biabrewer.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total Water Needed (TWN): 35.58 L = 9.4 G
Volume into Boil (VIB): 33.1 L = 8.74 G @ 1.045
Volume of Ambient Wort (VAW): 23.31 L = 6.16 G @ 1.062
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 21 L = 5.55 G @ 1.062
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 19.45 L = 5.14 G @ 1.016 assuming apparent attenuation of 75 %

The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)

Note: If extracts, sugars or adjuncts are not followed by an exclamation mark, go to http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (needs link)

50.4% Rahr Pale 2 row (3 EBC = 1.5 SRM) 3017 grams = 6.65 pounds
36% Castle Pilsner (2.8 EBC = 1.4 SRM) 2155 grams = 4.75 pounds
7.2% White Wheat Malt (6.5 EBC = 3.3 SRM) 431 grams = 0.95 pounds
6.4% Plain white table sugar (1 EBC = 0.5 SRM) 380 grams = 0.84 pounds!

The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)

8.9 IBU Saaz Pellets (5.8%AA) 15.8 grams = 0.556 ounces at 60 mins
5.9 IBU Saaz Pellets (5.8%AA) 15.8 grams = 0.556 ounces at 23 mins
3.6 IBU Saaz Pellets (5.8%AA) 31.5 grams = 1.112 ounces at 5 mins

Mash Steps

Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full-Volume Mash) for 90 mins at 68 C = 154.4 F

Mashout for for 10 mins at 78 C = 172.4 F

Miscellaneous Ingredients

1/2 Tab Whirfloc (Boil) 5 Mins - Clarity
.6tsp Wyeast Nutrient

Chilling & Hop Management Methods

Hopsock Used: Y (Pulled 60 mins after boil end.)

Chilling Method: Ice bath (Employed 0 mins after boil end.)

Fermentation & Conditioning

Fermentation: Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity for 21 days at 22 C = 71.6 F

Secondary Used: No
Crash-Chilled: N
Filtered: N

Serving Temp: 4 C = 39.2 F
Condition for 14 days.
Consume within 6 months.

Special Instructions/Notes on this Beer

"Non-insulated mash expected to drop 10 F over 80 minutes
2L Starter"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wstehling on 29 Mar 2014, 01:38, edited 5 times in total.

Post #5 made 10 years ago
wstehling wrote:File edited to use 1.3K version of BIABacus. I noticed this newer version changed the grain bill significantly from v1.3.

This is my first run at an AG and a BIAB. I've been playing with BIABacus a bit lately and would like to see if anyone could look this over and see if I've made any major errors.
Based on another Strong Ale thread on this site I have adjusted section Y for the table sugar and section X for the Auto Kettle Efficiency.
I think what's messing with my head is that I don't know what the original recipe's EoBV-A is, unless it's the 5.5 gallon batch size. Maybe somebody can clarify this for me.

I welcome all feedback. I don't want to tweak this too much from an ingredient standpoint, right now I'm mainly concerned with weights, volumes, etc.
Welcome to the forum Bill-wstehling.

Just noticed your file change and comment about the grain bill changing between versions. The first file you had a 1.062 and this current one is 1.052, so yeah, that's the difference. What is the source of the original recipe? I would focus on the recipe first.

:peace:
MS
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 29 Mar 2014, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 10 years ago
Good catch, I'll correct and re-upload the file afterwhile.

I fixed the OG typo and re-copied the new recipe report into the first post (didn't look like any figures changed though by using v1.3K vs. 1.3).

Also added original recipe link to first post.

Post #7 made 10 years ago
wstehling wrote:File edited to use 1.3K version of BIABacus.

Hey Bill, It is hard to decipher another brewers recipe. What did this guy mean when he said it is for a 5.5 gallon batch size? Luckily, we have the BIABacus to help!. I played around with your file and came to the conclusion that the "batch size" fits best at the VIP. Take a look at the screen shot below. I got the ingredients to match on the left and right hand side in section c by entering 22.50 L in section b AND removing your 80% efficiency over-ride. I then noticed the VIP in section k said 20.84 L / 5.50 Gal. Finally, I entered 24.97 L in section d to match the VAW in section k. The hops also match on the left and right hand side too. So, that should get you sorted. Let us know if you have anymore questions.
Untitled7.png
:peace:
MS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 01 Apr 2014, 02:52, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8 made 10 years ago
Thanks for the reply MS and fiddling around with my file.
What did this guy mean when he said it is for a 5.5 gallon batch size?
Well not knowing what that 5.5g batch size actually represents by way of the original recipe is basically my conundrum.

Let me study what you said above in your screenshot and I'll chime back in afterwhile.
Last edited by wstehling on 01 Apr 2014, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.

Post #9 made 10 years ago
Very nicely done Mad_Scientist :salute: :salute: :salute:,

wste, never over-ride the BIABacus auto kettle efficiency to match an original recipe because you do not have the same equipment as the original brewer so your kettle efficiency will be different. The BIABacus works this out for you. There's nothing else like it - cool!!!

Also, most recipes you find on the net don't actually publish their recipes well. Their 'efficiency' figure could mean anything as could their batch size as you have noticed (see this post as well).

95% of recipes, probably more, on the net and in books, and in magazines and in podcasts are not published correctly. As someone wrote here the other day, it is the, "elephant in the room."

I'm leaving this thread to MS but make sure you study up on posts that contain the words, "high integrity" in them.

;)
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 01 Apr 2014, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #10 made 10 years ago
Appreciate it MS and Pistol. BTW, you have a fantastic tool here and I applaud all the effort that went into it. :clap: :clap:
I only changed the kettle efficiency because I saw it mentioned in another thread, I'll dig it back up if you are really interested but otherwise I'll take your words above and leave it alone.

Very much appreciate the feedback, I'm going to give this recipe a shot when my new natural gas burner arrives and we'll see how it goes. I'm sure I'll generate a bunch of new questions at that time. :roll:

Return to “Creating Your Own Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 29 guests