I don't have 3 hands!

Post #1 made 10 years ago
I always brew by myself. It seems that many thing in brewing seem to be easiest if you have three hands.

I like to pour my grains into the mash water at a bit of a height, say 12-18"(30-50cm). I feel like its prevents dough balls. I also like to agitate the mash as I add the grains.

So 2 hands to hold and pour the grain and 1 more hand to move the water around...... :think: :scratch:

Got a good solution?

Trout
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #2 made 10 years ago
I tend to hold the grain bag under my arm and with one hand and stir as pour. I do only do 1gall batches so don't have that much grain to worry about.

I do agree with needing three hands though. Bottling is the biggest one, especially if going from Primary to bottle. You need two to concentrate on the bottling stick and bottle and one to hold the siphon out of the yeast cake.

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Probably won't help you trout; but I vacuum pack my bulk grains in 1Kg bags.
Grains are "less" likely to spoil, brew day is easier (very little weighing), and is easily done with one hand to hold & pour in the grains.
Last edited by mally on 10 Feb 2014, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #5 made 10 years ago
This is the exact reason why I had my first and only child! Worked great for several years but she finally got old enough that she's not interested in helping the old man brew anymore.

---Todd
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 10 years ago
I recently picked up a victoria grain mill and made a stand for it. A metal can from a popcorn assortment fits under the mill. I now can hold the can under my arm and pour away!

trout
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews

Post #7 made 10 years ago
2trout wrote:I like to pour my grains into the mash water at a bit of a height, say 12-18"(30-50cm). I feel like its prevents dough balls. I also like to agitate the mash as I add the grains.

So 2 hands to hold and pour the grain and 1 more hand to move the water around...... :think: :scratch:

Got a good solution?

Trout
Just pour slowly from 30cm and agitate afterwards. The pouring slowly from a height allows the grains to get wet individually. They won't doughball.

Don't make this hard*, just focus on 'sprinkling' the crushed grain ;).
PP

* Good thread but ;). Most stuff that needs three hands is regarding cleaning. I hate cleaning!!!!!
Last edited by PistolPatch on 11 Feb 2014, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #8 made 10 years ago
I use an old plastic Folgers coffee contaner and just scoop my grains from the bucket to fill the bag.
It may not be the fastest way but it is easy to handle and I can get a constant flow of grist into the bag.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Canada

Post #9 made 10 years ago
PP, thanks for your insite into why I really dont need to stir while I pour in my grains, but it is just one of those things.... I just HAVE to do it :dunno: .

So this is my latest idea for pouring grain.... I have two containers that hold about 11 pounds of grain AND fit under my grinder( by design I may add :smoke: .) I am going to add a simple handle to the side each container! ind of like a giant beer mug!

trout
Bobbrews

Return to “From Mash to Lauter (Water to Sweet Liquor)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 28 guests