So I'm reading this book...

Post #1 made 10 years ago
I'm currently reading a book on IPAs and has a lot of history on brewing in England in the 1700's and 1800's. One thing it seems was commonplace back then was to do a mash and use the first runnings as the strong ale, fill up and mash again and use the next runnings as table ale etc with it being recorded this was often done 4 times to produce beers of varying strengths.

So has anyone tried this with modern grains and BIAB? It would be interesting if you could do a FV mash and use the wort as maybe an IPA or stronger beer ( say SG 1.080 ), do the boil etc, hose out the vessel, refill with water to strike temperature and reinsert the grain bag to do a second mash.

Anyone tested this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by BungBrew on 31 Dec 2013, 05:46, edited 2 times in total.

Post #2 made 10 years ago
It's called partigyle and is a common practice for some guys. Do a forum search here for "partigyle" and you'll find what you are looking for.

---Todd
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Good Day the Partigyle system can be done with BIAB.

I start with 1.055 x 5 gallon mash, the Put the bag into another 4 gallon Kettle and get 1.035 x 2.5 gallon batch. This makes a good batch of 1.014 beer and a fair small batch of 1.004 session Beer.

The color is Lighter, and the flavor is much lighter, so it may not fit your Tastes.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “From Mash to Lauter (Water to Sweet Liquor)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 28 guests