Post #2 made 10 years ago
lukasfab wrote:Have a chance to buy a 48l cooler mash tun
Would I be able to mash say 12 kg of grain in that?
Probably have to do a batch sparge but no Dramamine there
Main aim is to brew 40l end volume

Cheers
Do you mean a 48 (12.7 gal.) liter pot to mash in? 12 kg is (26 lbs)?

You need a bag that will hold 26 lbs. of dry or 32?lbs. of wet grain? You need strong arms to pull that out of a pot! I have a 15.5 gallon (58.6 liter) converted keg to brew in. I could get 26lbs. or (48 liters) in but I wouldn't. I think the most I did was 19 lbs. (8.6k) at one time and I mashed two separate bags to add up to about? 26 lbs.

Maybe I am missing something? (I admit to having more than one beer today) :drink: :drink: It makes reading questions hard because of the double vision and the constant trips to the can! :nup:
Last edited by BobBrews on 06 Oct 2013, 02:09, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Doing a quick calc -

VAW about 40L as mentioned.
12Kg grain will get you about 1.070 OG.
Mash volume would be approx 48L (no headspace) :shock:
but you would need to sparge approx 20L.

Not sure how "doable" that is for you, or how good the results would be, but I wouldn't completely rule it out.

Have you any idea what OG you would aim for? or are you trying to use up 12Kg exactly?
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #6 made 10 years ago
That'll be fine mate but, as you and mally have already picked up, the issue will be that you will have to batch sparge which means that you are going to need a third vessel. This vessel, a hot liquor tank, needs its own heat source. In stove-top "Maxi" (Full Volume Variation - FVV) BIAB, this third vessel is your kitchen kettle that you make tea and coffee with. At this scale though, you need something more substantial or you need to be able to heat a fair bit of water on your stove-top.

That is the real issue.

Size-wise, the esky/cooler is fine. In the most common form of batch sparging, water is added and drained three times and, the most water you will need in one of these runs is less than half the TWN so all will be okay.

I'm short on time for the next day or two as I just got back from this - lol! But, if you want some ideas/procedures on what numbers you'll need to play with on the batch-sparging, let me know and I'll either write something new or give you a link to an old guide I wrote.

;)
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 06 Oct 2013, 19:46, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7 made 10 years ago
Good stuff Pat many thanks

More info / numbers would be great
Need to let the guy know early in the week

I have a 20l vessel to use as hlt for the sparge, is this enough?

I could use the kettle for initial mash water

Post #8 made 10 years ago
This guide on batch-sparging I wrote maybe 7 years ago and I'm laughing at a few bits of it but...

I could spend all night re-writing it perfectly and maybe one day I will but all the info is actually there in that one post.

Does that help/answer your question above mate?
Last edited by PistolPatch on 06 Oct 2013, 21:37, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #10 made 10 years ago
done some calcs in brew mate for a 40L end volume of 1.050
would require 9.13kg of grain and 27.40L of strike water required for a total
mash volume of 32.60L
so the esky should be fine for this??
brewmate shows i would require 32.20L of sparge water to get 51.40L pre boil
is sound about right??

So my 20L vessel i had in mind wont cut the mustard for sparging, could find a way around this

so if i was to stick with biab i still wouldn't fit full volume into the 70L pot
i would still need to run some water through the bag once lifted but not as much, probably few litres??

Post #11 made 10 years ago
You can do a full volume BIAB in your 70 L pot if you have a bag.

This is very doable;
59.61 L strike water
66.16 L mash volume
55.08 L begining of boil volume

:peace:
MS
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #12 made 10 years ago
Lukas, call me on the telephone re this if you want. I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be buying that esky/cooler though. If you have a 70L pot then, as MS said above, you are okay. Even if you weren't, there are far better ways to go than buying and esky/cooler.

:interesting:

Return to “From Mash to Lauter (Water to Sweet Liquor)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 19 guests