The Basics of Beer Appreciation

Post #1 made 14 years ago
[center]All brewers, new and experienced, are encouraged to start new topics in this section provided they have read the below.[/center]

[center]This article is still to be written. If you would like to write this article, please PM BIABrewer.[/center]

For now, post your suggestions here and we will tidy up this section as we go along. Don't be offended if your post gets deleted later. If of value, it will have been incorporated somewhere before being deleted and, if possible have given you credit.

[center]All brewers, new and experienced, are encouraged to start new topics in this section provided they have read the above.[/center]
Last edited by BIABrewer on 04 Mar 2010, 22:15, edited 17 times in total.

Post #3 made 12 years ago
Firstly someone needs to define appreciation.

Is it, the appreciation of the flavours and mouth feel of the beer?
The over-all look and appearance of the beer?
The complex mix of malt and hops?
The detail of the water profile?
The precise adherence to temperature control?
The ability of the strain of yeast to consume maltose and produce alcohol?
Or the level of craftsmanship and effort put in by the brewer that's being appreciated?

I could go on but feel I am being rather pedantic :)

Lylo has it right...."Beer good".
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #4 made 12 years ago
I'm sipping a goblet of Rodenbach as I write this. I have recently developed an interest in sour beers and Robenbach has become one of my favorites. Dark brown/red in color, smells of grapes, almost wine-like. There's a nice tart cider-vinegar bite followed by fruity apple and grape with a bit of oak.

I had a Lindeman's Gueuze Cuvée René (lambic) lastnight but found it a bit too "funky" for me; reminiscent of an old sweat sock.

How's that for "appreciating" a beer?

---Todd
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Beer Appreciation (incl. Fault Identification)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 6 guests