over carbonation

Post #1 made 12 years ago
question about bottling beer out of a keg:

if i have beer that has been force carbonated in a corny, and than filled from that corny into bottles,
and if the beer was over carbonated in the keg, would that cause gushing beer when opening the bottles?

or do i have an infection :think: ?
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #2 made 12 years ago
Mmmmm :scratch:

I dunno Shib. I can recall bottling from the keg some over-carbonated beers but I don't think I have ever had a gusher from the bottle once I got the bloody stuff in there :P. I can see it as a possibility though especially if you transferred at a lower temp than what you opened the bottle at.

The real question is, "What does it taste like?" :lol:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 12 years ago
PistolPatch wrote: The real question is, "What does it taste like?" :lol:
well that's just it Pat,
if it tasted bad than i would know it's infected. but the truth is, it's tastes prety damn good :!:
it's a Belgian pale/strong/blond/ call-it-what-you-like) Ale at around 7% abv. used the Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes yeast.
Last edited by shibolet on 08 Sep 2011, 21:03, edited 5 times in total.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #4 made 12 years ago
shibolet wrote:
PistolPatch wrote:it's a Belgian pale/strong/blond/ call-it-what-you-like) Ale at around 7% abv. used the Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes yeast.
Oh, I think I read somewhere (or dreamed) that these styles, when blended, taste pretty damn good and always gush.

Does that help in any way? :lol: :lol: :lol:.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 08 Sep 2011, 21:39, edited 5 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #5 made 12 years ago
Put those bottles in the fridge and get them as cold as possible for @ a week or so before opening, that should get a lot of the excess CO2 back into solution and reduce the gushing.
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 12 years ago
I imagine if it's overcarb'd in the keg, you'd get a lot of head when filling the bottle wouldn't you? I don't think you'd be able to transfer that sort of pressure to the bottle unless it was somehow a completely closed system.
I think thughes suggestion should sort you out.

Return to “Bottling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests