Flavoring at the time of Bottling

Post #1 made 10 years ago
I found this over at HomeBrewTalk,
I've been playing around with flavoring my priming solution at bottling time for that last bit of mouth hit and aroma when you open the bottle. I've done chilies, citrus peels, and even some spices in the boil and strained out after. I decided to add 1.5 ounces of ginger to my priming sugar boil.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 720x540.

As you can see it has a nice straw color as opposed to the clear you are used to. It smelled amazingly like ginger.

I've also done it with dried chilli peppers for my chocolate mole porter. And done citrus peels with various beers such as using orange peels in my wits.

You could do it with any dry spice, such as cloves, coriander, star anise for a licorice beer, cinnamon and even a vanilla beer. You can do with this is to add some lactose to the boil as well, since it is unfermentable, it should sweeten the flavor somewhat.

Other things to consider are hard candies such as jolly ranchers or even peppermint candies, you need to melt them down with water in a double boiler. Jolly ranchers, and mints will really impart a strong flavor. My nephew makes flavored schnapps employing that method and they are full of flavor. Even tootsie rolls might work.

I'm planning to try crystallized/candied ginger next time. Evidently it has a sweeter less biting flavor to it.

Edit if anyone is intersted priming with Kahlua or other liquers, there is info in this thread on Northern Brewer's forum.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottlin ... wer-94812/

Its a short way down the first page.

Has anyone messed with this?

trout
Last edited by 2trout on 06 Jan 2014, 00:40, edited 2 times in total.
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #2 made 10 years ago
I've added orange peel and coriander seeds in a Wit but have always been cautious about infections and adding other stuff is to much of a risk for me. I have made Chilli vodka and other fruit spirits as they are safe to do but risking a full brew :think: I think I'll stick with hops.

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 10 years ago
I think that what this brewer is doing is boiling the flavoring adds as part of the primimg solution at the time of bottling. No chance of infection with the boiling I think. I have always wanted to make a "ginger" beer for summer something like a ginger ale really, but with alcohol! Ms is maybe this is an easy way?

trout
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Oh I understand now, Flavoured priming sugar !! Good idea as all of the flavour will be contained in the bottle. I reckon a strong ginger syrup will put you on the road to ginger beer.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Return to “Bottling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 1 guest