Consensus on Temp to input when using a priming calculator?

Post #26 made 10 years ago
@Rockbottom, I bottle everything too. I prime with table sugar(sucrose) using this http://byo.com/resources/carbonation
It doesn't leave any aftertaste in my experience. I avoid making a thick syrup and usually use about 500ml water for priming a batch as it mixes in better.
As an aside, check this out: A huge bottling day speed up http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/double- ... st-257264/

Post #27 made 10 years ago
I bottle exclusively as well. Nice link about the double spigots Lars. Its so simple!

Popped my second porter yesterday. It was fully chilled.....and gushed :sad:

trout
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #28 made 10 years ago
Maybe I am doing something wrong but I am planning on upping the amount of sugar I use for bulk priming. I usually use 2 cups of water boiled and then add the sugar to it. Cooling then adding to bottling bucket and stirring to ensure it is mixed. I usually have my beer around 77 degree F while it is priming.

I like the double filling idea. I am going to look into setting my bucket with an additional filling tube.
Fermenting:

Bottle Conditioning

Up Next:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #29 made 10 years ago
This is interesting. 2trout is getting gushers on the BIABacus and rockbottom is getting undercarbonation.

So, what's going on? :scratch:. This has been bugging me for ages so let's dig a little deeper...

Let's assume 19 L (5 gals) of beer that has to be primed and that it has been sitting at say 15 C (59 F) and that we want 2.5 Vols of CO2. Then, with corn sugar...

BIABacus says 100 grams or 3.5 oz
Brewing Classic Styles (John Palmer) says 100 grams or 3.5 oz
BobBrew's Formula says 113 grams or 4.0 oz
PistolPatch's Carbonation Lollies equate to 180 grams or 6.35 oz
New Brewing Lager (Gregory Noonan) says 212 grams or 7.5 oz

Figure that one out :roll:. I have no idea what to do with this atm apart from leave it as is :smoke:,
PP

P.S1. Dextrose (corn sugar) is pretty much always used as the priming sugar by micro breweries etc.

P.S2. To ensure that kegged beer and bottled beer turns out to have the same alcohol content, breweries add water to the beer being primed to compensate for the alcohol added by the priming sugar. (Only learned that one two days ago - thanks DanT ;))
Last edited by PistolPatch on 20 Aug 2013, 20:39, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #30 made 10 years ago
:thumbs:

I used to have a lot of gushers when I was bottling. :argh: I didn't know why? The problem was simpler than falling off a log. I used the same exact amount of sugar but I failed to make sure the beer was exact also. After I had that revelation I always made sure my beer was 5 gallons exactly or I compensated either way to correct for more or less beer. I was simple and the answer was too! :lol:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #31 made 10 years ago
I know what is talking about.
I have been trying to watch really closely the amount of beer that I actually bottle compared to what I was expecting to bottle to ensure they are at least close. I usually find myself short 2 or 3 bottles but still no gushers.

I agree with PP. You get all kinds of numbers from around the net.
I thought I would just try to stick with BIABacus and slowly increase the volume of CO2 that I seek until I get a baseline for me to work with.
I just bottled a Blue Moon Clone using 2.9 Vols of CO2. Don't want to go up to fast. I am not found of cleaning up beer :pray:
Fermenting:

Bottle Conditioning

Up Next:

Post #32 made 10 years ago
The Blue Moon clone turned out well not really like Blue Moon but a really good beer and it carbed up nicely. I usually have my ales around 44 degrees. It looks like I have a good point of reference now.
Fermenting:

Bottle Conditioning

Up Next:

Post #33 made 10 years ago
rockbotton wrote:I just bottled a Blue Moon Clone using 2.9 Vols of CO2.
Thanks for posting that rb. I actually never realised how sensitive the formula was to the Vols of CO2. A small change in desired vols leads to a larger change in required sugar than I thought. Interesting :scratch: :think:. Will look forward to thinking on that some more.

Changing the serving temperature won't change anything on the priming sugar amount. That only relates to kegs. In other words, the warmer you keep your kegs, the more CO2 pressure you will need to maintain a given volume of CO2 in the beer.

:peace:
Last edited by PistolPatch on 01 Oct 2013, 20:21, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #34 made 10 years ago
I cant blame Biabacus on my over carbonation.

On August 13 I posted
I bottle exclusively as well. Nice link about the double spigots Lars. Its so simple!

Popped my second porter yesterday. It was fully chilled.....and gushed :sad:

trout
Well, I have done many releases of pressure from two of my porters I discussed on the 13th, and I am sure that I have an infected batch producing gushers. Its not exactly like Mentos and Diet Coke, but they are impressive even when cold. My first total disaster. :angry: I believe that this is from and over used bottling bucked that has now been retired. Ive take a video of one of the gushers, and will post it when I figure out how.

Trout
Last edited by 2trout on 06 Nov 2013, 11:38, edited 2 times in total.
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #35 made 10 years ago
Wow
Sorry to hear that trout.
I never thought a bottling bucket could go bad. Can you provide a little more detail as to what you think happened?
Fermenting:

Bottle Conditioning

Up Next:

Post #36 made 10 years ago
mally wrote:
Lagering should be done with carbonated beer
WOW, I never new that. So bottlers are meant to lager in the bottle? I have always bulk conditioned/lagered. :scratch:
Do you have any more info on that PP?
Mally, found some good info on this a few months ago and forgot to post it sorry. Anyway here you go...

This article on Braukaiser gives some very detailed info on lagering. There's a lot to read there but the section I linked gives an overview. This and other parts of the article confirm the view we had of lagering beer under carbonation pressure.

:peace:
Last edited by PistolPatch on 19 Nov 2013, 20:16, edited 2 times in total.

Post #37 made 9 years ago
Bumping this thread to ask...

If you have feedback on what priming sugar rates are working for you, can you please post them in this thread even if you have already done so above? This would really help to finalise the BIABacus priming formula.

Please note your height above sea level as well if you can. Much appreciated :peace:.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 17 Aug 2014, 19:35, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Bottling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 21 guests