Bottling Shortcuts

Post #1 made 11 years ago
Before I kegged, I bottled. Bottling is tedious (so is cleaning kegs). I came up with a time saving solution to bottling which someone might find useful. I’m also wondering if anyone else has any time saving bottling tips to pass on.

I started using wide necked stainless steel drink bottles. I liked them because with the wide necks I could wash them with the dishes in the dishwasher at the end of the evening, and on bottling day I’d sanitize them in the dishwasher (on sanitize setting) with a slosh of bleach. John Palmer has a concern about rinse aid affecting the head on the beer. I’m not sure if that is only a theoretical concern, but our dishwasher never has rinse aid in it as we have those soap tablets with the rinse aid in them. I’m also not sure how much good the bleach did as it degrades in hot water, but I never had any infected beer. I still put beer in those bottles from the kegs when I need to take some somewhere, or use them to send beer home with people (sometimes that’s the only way to get people to go home, once they’ve had a taste or two of your beer). The drink bottles take a lot of pressure and there is no risk of exploding glass. They also hold pressure well as they have a silica gel washer on the lids. I can’t comment on long term (several months) pressure retention as it was American IPA, and all got drunk before a month was up.

For the priming sugar, I used to heat it in water in the microwave (to sterilize and dissolve it), let it cool enough, and then used a sterile medical syringe with cc markings on the side to squirt a measured amount into each stainless steel bottle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guinges

Post #2 made 11 years ago
I use those metal bottles as mini-growlers when I need to take kegged beer on the run, never thought about using them as "bottling" bottles. :think:

---Todd
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 11 years ago
I just had a bottling shortcut thought (sorry). What about bottling without using priming sugar?

• Would save a lot of “messing around”.

• Would end up with flat, English style, beer

• No exploding glass

• Could be drunk right away

• Less sediment in the bottles

• Opens up the possibility of putting the beer in those plastic wine containers (basically a disposable plastic bag with a plastic tap that sits inside a cardboard box) I’ve seen them at the LHBS. This would negate cleaning and sanitising!

• Opens up other “bottling” possibilities.

• If someone really wanted it carbonated, it could be refrigerated and shaken up later, in a plastic pop bottle. with a CO2 adapter cap at 30psi, or put in a SodaStream.

Edit: Mally has a different version of priming free bottling: http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1958
Last edited by GuingesRock on 30 Jan 2013, 07:39, edited 3 times in total.
Guinges

Post #5 made 11 years ago
Lylo, I’m back! :evil:

Actually, I came back to add something, but you already posted.

I have a keg of IPA that I haven’t got around to carbonating yet. It’s at room temperature. I’m drinking it and I’m enjoying it like that. Maybe I even prefer it like that, so I’m not going to carbonate it. That’s what got me wondering.
Guinges

Post #6 made 11 years ago
Guinges, a "flat beer" is considered a "wine" (a flat non-carbonate alcoholic Beverage) So you can call it an "IPA Barley Wine:
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #7 made 11 years ago
joshua wrote:Guinges, a "flat beer" is considered a "wine" (a flat non-carbonate alcoholic Beverage) So you can call it an "IPA Barley Wine:
Lylo, I just got in trouble again! :evil: Trouble is my middle name actually (GuingesTroubleRock).

Joshua, I read a book on IPA styles and history. It’s a fantastic read and I’d recommend it to anyone interested in IPA. It’s called IPA by Mitch Steele. It has many historical recipes too.

Traditionally IPA had very low levels of carbonation as did most cask conditioned ales. The keg that I mentioned I was enjoying seems to have a slight carbonation and isn’t totally flat like a barley wine. I kegged it after a 10 day ferment, and maybe that's why. It wasn't chilled either which may be relevant. I’m really enjoying it. Here’s a picture of some others enjoying flat (well, almost flat) IPA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GuingesRock on 30 Jan 2013, 18:01, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #8 made 11 years ago
I read a book on IPA styles and history. It’s a fantastic read and I’d recommend it to anyone interested in IPA. It’s called IPA by Mitch Steele. It has many historical recipes too.
I have the book also and I concur. I love the style of beer and this book has lots of it's history. A good book for your shelf!

We carbonate because it enhances the enjoyment of beer! The bursting bubbles rise and bust flavor into your nose. The tingling of the carbonation bites at your gums and tongue.

Last year I went to the "Great taste of the Midwest" I tried drinking "quite a few" beers that were presented from a Firkin. They were tasty beers but really flat! I am not planing on "firking" any beer in the future. I guess I need bubbles?

If you want a laugh watch the video of the Great Taste" I filmed it and made a total ass of myself! I must admit I was plastered! In the audio version of the Great Taste I was singing and talking nonsense at the end! Not unlike typing nonsense? :drink:

http://mhtg.org/great-taste-of-the-midwest For next year!

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?p ... video-2012 (If you watch it stay until it totally over! They got a quick out take of me screwing up! It was about the 20th retake!

August 23, 2012 - Great Taste of the Midwest
James joins Bob Stempski in Madison, Wisconsin for one of the best beer events in the county.
Last edited by BobBrews on 30 Jan 2013, 22:35, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!

Post #9 made 11 years ago
I can't find the video in this link http://mhtg.org/great-taste-of-the-midwest and will be very dissappointed if I miss a chance to watch you make a fool of yourself once again. I think maybe I will do a compilation of them for xmas :lol:, but I want to wait until your long awaited BIAB video comes out.That should be a laugh riot! :salute:
Last edited by Lylo on 30 Jan 2013, 22:57, edited 2 times in total.
AWOL

Post #10 made 11 years ago
GR,

I am a bottler. I do see 1 short cut for you.
For the priming sugar, I used to heat it in water in the microwave (to sterilize and dissolve it), let it cool enough, and then used a sterile medical syringe with cc markings on the side to squirt a measured amount into each stainless steel bottle.
Rather than the above process, simply put the priming solution into the bottling bucket and siphon onto it, and then bottle into the big 22oz bottles. Also, Ive recently gotten my wife involved with the bottling as she enjoys the34 beer as much as I do.

trout
Last edited by 2trout on 31 Jan 2013, 01:44, edited 2 times in total.
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #11 made 11 years ago
Lylo wrote:I can't find the video in this link http://mhtg.org/great-taste-of-the-midwest and will be very disappointed if I miss a chance to watch you make a fool of yourself once again. I think maybe I will do a compilation of them for xmas :lol:, but I want to wait until your long awaited BIAB video comes out.That should be a laugh riot! :salute:
Actually I have most of the video recorded. I am trying to get better angles on some stuff. I have a perfect video of me hoisting the bag and squeezing it. What I didn't see was that I (In the process of re-filming) melted a hole in the bag and was squeezing grain into the wort!!!! Fun Outtakes!

Lylo I led you astray here is the video link below. it is 2012

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?p ... video-2012 (If you watch, it stay until it totally over! They got a quick out take of me screwing up! It was about the 20th retake!

this is the heading!
August 23, 2012 - Great Taste of the Midwest
James joins Bob Stempski in Madison, Wisconsin for one of the best beer events in the county.

Her is a link to the radio (podcast) program I am totally blasted at the end and get offended when James sang "On Wisconsin" (our state song) twisted into his high school mascot "Vikings" a Packer rivals name and I go ballistic because he offends the Green Bay Packers by doing so??? Yeah, I don't think it makes any sense but I was stoned. If I remember? I think I was singing when he stopped recording!

http://llnw.libsyn.com/p/d/5/6/d5617233 ... da0e48742f

this is the podcast Audio! Heading
August 16, 2012 - Great Taste of the Midwest
James travels to Madison, Wisconsin to join Bob Stempski for one of the best beer events in the U.S.

I am recovering today! :o Yesterday I was cleaning up from brewing. I found myself sitting at this computer wondering why my legs were wet and covered in salt??? Apparently because of the melting ice I slipped and hit my head on the driveway. I don't know how long I was unconscious because I didn't remember falling or getting up?? The last thing I remember was dumping the trube out in the snow. I guess I must have gotten up and continued cleaning because the keggel was put away (dirty)! Various other equipment is strewn around (still).

Today I am trying to recover. I have a knot on the back of my head and I am dizzy My neck and head are in constant pain! I know I had a concussion but I am not seeking medical advice! So if this is the last you hear from me? It was fun! :thumbs:

P.S. No I was sober! Why did you think it! :kisswink:
Last edited by BobBrews on 31 Jan 2013, 03:20, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!

Post #12 made 11 years ago
For beers that don’t require ageing or high carbonation. Maybe a real-ale sort of beer…

Wash out with soap to get the orange juice taste out. Rinse with water and then Starsan. Put the beer in before fermentation is complete. Intermittently check with a squeeze and release pressure by unscrewing the cap a bit if gets too high, and then re-tighten. Alternately leave the cap slightly loose for a few days and learn when to screw it down firmly (my mother’s technique from the old days).

Refrigerate as, when and if required.

When ready to drink decant into a pitcher so the sediment isn’t stirred up every time a glass is poured.

(I have a three year old who drinks a lot of orange juice)
Guinges

Return to “Bottling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests