Blobby bottle problem .....

Post #1 made 11 years ago
I bottled a Marzen style lagerbier 10 days ago, and when I checked it, there are white blobby bits around the neck. They look almost like tiny bits of wadded paper.

Oh no! I thought, infection! SO I opened one. It didn't gush (maybe foamed just a little), and didn't taste particularly bad, but it wasn't really as carbonated as I thought it should be.

Either it's clumps of yeast hanging around (6.8%abv), or it IS an infection, but maybe a milder one. My big concern is the lack of carbonation. Taste-wise, it's closer to a Hacker Pschorr type Marzen rather than a Lowenbrau, which is fine, but I don't think it'll change much in the next week or so in terms of fizziness.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers,
G

Post #2 made 11 years ago
Gyro wrote:I bottled a Marzen style lagerbier 10 days ago, and when I checked it, there are white blobby bits around the neck. They look almost like tiny bits of wadded paper.

My big concern is the lack of carbonation. G

Good Day, I believe it's clumps of yeast hanging around, 10 days may be short of full carbonation if, you Bottled Conditioned.
I hope you conditioned around 23C/72F to let it fully carbonated and drop all yeast.

If you Keg Concitioned and carbonated, then Bottled....You may have had a Bottle that had a skin of yeast in it, or if all the Bottles have the clumps, you might have bottle a bit early.

The beer can be very clear at bottleing time and still Carbonate fully.

I hope this helps!
Last edited by joshua on 16 Aug 2012, 02:44, edited 3 times in total.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 11 years ago
Conditioned in the FV around at least the 70c mark, with the aid of a heating belt for a day or two, and then 2nd week racked to secondary a little cooler (but nowhere near lagering). Used finings the night before bottling too.

Will give it another week or so and will try another bottle....

Return to “Bottling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 21 guests