Pulling hydrometer samples from the fermenter.

Post #1 made 13 years ago
This is something I have always had a few questions about. Lets say that my wort is happily bubbling away, and after a some time, I feel the need to intrude on the little yeasties, and take a hydrometer sample. What is the best way to pull this sample.

I could use the spigot, but then Ill get some trube in the sampling tube (maybe alot), and that may effect my reading.

I could also attempt to practice good sanitation and open the top of my fermenter, and get a clear sample from the top of my wort, but that opens up all kind of funky possibilities. Good sanitation and this sampling system seems to be an oxymoron.

I could do nothing, and just wait 3 weeks, and assume fermentation is complete, but I may not want to wait that long if it's not necessary.

As a newbie, I may just be sweating the small stuff, but Im curious as to the safest/best method.
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #2 made 13 years ago
Use the tap and toss the first half sample you take, should be good after that.

I use a two piece airlock so I can easily break the airlock thus preventing airlock fluid getting sucked in, there is a very minor risk of infection because of the air bing sucked in
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #3 made 13 years ago
I say relax trout. Once you get to know your beers, you will know that they are done or close to done in X days. For me it is 8 days, so I just have everything ready (kegs, bottles), go out take a sample from the tap and then keg away.

Joshua, that is a good find. Not sure I'd feel confident putting the sample back.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #5 made 13 years ago
i just use the tap take a bit tip it then fill the sample thing.
i spray it with star san before and after taking the sample

hydro it, write the number on the fridge with a whiteboard marker

have a taste and spit it back in the fermenter

I always have a taste, and nah i dont really spit it back in....
dont know why you would bother tipping it back in, drink it then there's no waste

Post #7 made 13 years ago
Also helps you understand the progression from wort to beer
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Monitoring fermentation using your hydrometer jar/tube.

Post #8 made 13 years ago
Hi there Trout,

Another thing you can do here is take a sample straight after pitching and leave it in your hydrometer tube for the remainder of the fermentation process. This gives you an easy visual on fermentation stages and fermentation completion.

To do this you need to...

1. Use a decent size hydrometer tube with a sturdy base. The tube, like a fermenter, will end up with krausen etc stuck to the sides. A narrow tube will cause your hydrometer to continually get stuck.
2. Use liquid yeast or rehydrate your dried yeast otherwise you won't be able to get an 'even' sample.
3. Keep the tube beside the fermenter so it is exposed to fairly similiar temperature conditions.

So, after pitching and aeration (agitation), use a sterile cup/jug to grab a sample and pour it into your hydrometer tube. Take your original gravity reading and leave the hydrometer in the tube.

Cover the tube with plastic wrap or a larger upside down jar. (I don't even bother doing this as I ferment inside a fridge so the chances of the hydrometer sample becoming infected are quite small.)

You will now be able to observe the various stages of fermentation very easily. Give the hydrometer an occasional twirl to make sure it doesn't get stuck. When the hydrometer stops rising, your fermentation is complete.

Your final reading might read slightly higher in the sample than in the main fermenter as krausen etc may stick to the hydrometer weighing it down slightly. If a more accurate final reading is required then take one half way through bottling (assuming you are not bulk priming) or immediately after kegging.

Cheers,
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #9 made 13 years ago
Thanks for all the replies.

Pistol, I like your idea alot, its just a smaller version of what is going on in your fermenter! All the work is done on brew day. All one has to do is watch. Very smart!
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #10 made 13 years ago
I use a ladle dipped in star san and pour the sample into a glass then fill up the sample jar and take a hydro reading. No issues with sanitation with star san, the stuff is the best.

The small side ferment is what the Germans call a "schnell vergaerungs probe" or SVP where they watch this so that they can do what they call "Gruenschlauchung" where they transfer the almost fermented wort to a pressurised bright tank and allow it to carb and lager from the residual gravity and then fill their bottles using a counter pressure filler. They like to stay within what is considered "Reinheitsgebot" methods where they keep the additives to a minimum.
http://beernvictuals.blogspot.com/ My blog, If you like what you read post a comment on the blog comments section thanks, BIAB post coming soon.

Post #11 made 13 years ago
Great discussion here. I love the 'SVP' idea. I've always admired how the Germans could bottle their beers at that precise point towards the end of fermentation so no priming sugar is needed.

Return to “Fermentation (Wort to Still Beer)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 27 guests