Transfer via funnel?

Post #1 made 8 years ago
I used to ferment in a plastic bucket but for awhile I have preferred a glass carboy. I have used a funnel to transfer the cooled wort from the brew pot to the carboy and I pass it through a mesh strainer to catch some of the trub.

I have seen a lot of people talk about using a siphon to transfer the wort. I have heard about risks from aerating wort that is still too warm but are there other issues I should be concerned about?

I should note that my beers have had good flavor and I haven't seen any issue to this point. Always trying to learn and improve my process if I can.

Post #2 made 8 years ago
If you are okay with lifting your brew pot, that will work for you, just be careful with your back.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:If you are okay with lifting your brew pot, that will work for you, just be careful with your back.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Well that is a good point I didn't think about. I'm working on a smaller scale getting around 3 gallons into the fermenter. It's a perk so I can brew more often for practice and I like variety. Now also the fact that I can lift and pour it.
Last edited by Shumanfoo on 10 Sep 2015, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post #4 made 8 years ago
What MS said ^. If it's cooled, dump it straight out of the brew pot and let it splash to get good and aerated before pitching the yeast. (I believe that the whole "hot side aeration" thing is a myth but have not conducted any experimentation to prove it)

---Todd
WWBBD?

Post #5 made 8 years ago
Not exactly experiment material, but I have used my siphon with 1/2" OD silicon hose to transfer hot wort into a cube many times with no ill effects. I forget the transfer rate, I think it's like 1 gallon/3.78L per 30-40 seconds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 8 years ago
Yep, the Silicon Hose is great, just use gloves to control it.

Hot Side Aeration is a Myth!, You will collect MUCH more air into Hot Wort than Cold(which is what we need).

The time it takes for the Wort to Cool, will not Oxidize the wort, Unless you cooling over 2 weeks, and continuously bubbling air into the Wort.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Return to “Fermentation (Wort to Still Beer)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 30 guests