Post #26 made 8 years ago
Glad to hear it kostas as I saw your post above which said, "I will whirlpool vigorously after the chilling," after I had written...

"1. I'd forget the whirlpool on your next brew as there are more ways you can do it incorrectly than correctly." :)

I'd written that for many reasons, one being that a vigorous whirlpool, depending on what you mean by vigorous, will usually not result in a cone of trub.

What do you think worked for you this time as compared to last time?

Passing all the details on not only provides a good read but will help others, old and new, as well.

:peace:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 31 Jan 2016, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #27 made 8 years ago
I used the biab bag as a spider hop and that made a lot of difference.I was amazed at the amount of water the pellets absorbed.
There was a cone of trub at the bottom but I had to stir like a maniac for 2-3 minutes.I left it alone for half an hour and then I siphoned it out.My batch was designed to be 23 lt and I put 25 lt at the fermenter and I could take another one easily.The wort that was siphoned was crystal clear even at the end.I stopped because my fermanter is 32 lt and I didn't want to have any problems with the foam.

As we speak the fermentation started at 19,5 C.

Transfering wort to fermenter : with or without trub ?

Post #29 made 8 years ago
You would maybe recover some wort from the hops but I would be surprised if it had any noticeable difference on the flavour, aroma or bitterness of a beer.

My understanding is that most of the volatiles are absorbed into the wort fairly quickly so squeezing wouldn't increase this.

And while efficiency is good it isn't the most important element of brewing. Being able to predict your efficiency for a particular grain bill helps you brew what you set out to but in terms of cost you might be talking about a couple of handfuls of grain and from my perspective there's much better ways to reduce the cost of beer than minimizing grain use.

Saving and storing a bank of liquid yeast will make a much bigger difference to the cost of a brew than a bit of grain!

Return to “Fermentation (Wort to Still Beer)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests