Vomit off flavour in my beer.

Post #1 made 10 years ago
This is a new thread based on a topic/question raised by Quinbrew in this thread Here

QuinBrew wrote:Case in point, I just bottled an English bitter my husband had requested I make. I did a taste-test and thought I caught a twinge of vomit in the aftertaste. As this was my third BIAB, I was very disappointed and started to review my processes in my head thinking what did I do wrong? (The previous batch smelled like vomit as well and I dumped that quickly.)
This is an interesting topic and may be worth further investigation. I was just wondering how you oxygenate your wort prior to pitching ? I was thinking maybe you have a slight brett yeast infection which can kick up some interesting off flavours or perhaps you are sensitive to some of the organic acids yeast can produce.
QuinBrew wrote:
(The previous batch smelled like vomit as well and I dumped that quickly.)
Don't go on smell alone, the CO2 from fermentation can give beer a "Vinegary" smell as the gas's react in your nose and make acids. Always taste before ditching.

:thumbs:

Yeasty
Last edited by Yeasty on 23 Apr 2014, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 10 years ago
Hmm, my primary fermentor has always had this smell/taste to a degree. Sometimes it temporarily overpowers the hop aromas, but that always changes and goes away after 2-3 weeks in the bottle or keg.

If I use a secondary, I can drink a beer 1 week after bottling and it'll be cleaned up. If I use primary only, it'll still have that yeast/vomit character. This is just my limited experience though.

Sounds normal to me, but then again it could be 10x worse than what I'm talking about.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Whoa, I wasn't expecting a whole new thread. I appreciate the discussion.
This is an interesting topic and may be worth further investigation. I was just wondering how you oxygenate your wort prior to pitching ? I was thinking maybe you have a slight brett yeast infection which can kick up some interesting off flavours or perhaps you are sensitive to some of the organic acids yeast can produce.
For starters I have all new equipment and I'm meticulous with sanitation (nurse in previous life) so I'd be surprised if an infection got a hold so soon (but then pride comes before a fall...).

I was doing small, 2 gallon batches so I just shook the little carboys before pitching. I was using the same liquid yeast for the barfy batches and for the third I used all the same ingredients but switched to a different liquid yeast. That batch tasted/smelled fine.
Sounds normal to me, but then again it could be 10x worse than what I'm talking about.
Rick, that first batch nearly made me vomit. It was the smell and taste of bile. But that did get me thinking--I use well water and it is pretty alkaline here. I need to do a proper water test but my fish test kit always said alkaline.
I'll have to get back to you in another week to update on conditioning.

My husband has a history of working in an adhesives factory in Stafford which I think messed up his sense of smell. If all else fails, I just save my funky beers for him...
Last edited by QuinBrew on 23 Apr 2014, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

Post #5 made 10 years ago
QuinBrew,
-I use well water and it is pretty alkaline here. I need to do a proper water test but my fish test kit always said alkaline.
When I started brewing I just cooled the pot in a bathtub filled with cold water and ice. I never had a bad beer. When I started to brew in a 15.5 gallon keggle. I began to use an immersion chiller to cool the wort. The next three batches of beer were total failures they stunk to high heaven! On that last of three batches I noticed my (poorly repaired) copper coils leaking "Well Water" into my cooling wort. Problem solved!

Well water is a bacteria filled cesspool. Maybe (somehow) a drop of well water got into your cooled wort? I started no-chilling the very next brew session and I have never looked back! Try brewing with store bought water once and keep well water 'well' away from your cooled wort!

Go Pack Go!
Last edited by BobBrews on 23 Apr 2014, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 10 years ago
Quick update: After bottle conditioning the smell went down a bit but I still don't like it...until I added some hop infusion made from Simcoe! Thanks Bob for those instructions on your website. What a difference a little/lot more hops can do to a brew. I'm starting to think it was an ingredient that rubbed me the wrong way and I'm laying off clones and working on single malt/single hop for now.

Additionally, I did find a leak in my immersion chiller connection and some water was dripping back in after my boil. I might switch to no-chill at some point but for now it's working again and subsequent brews have been fine. Always refining the process...

Post #7 made 10 years ago
QuinBrew,

I am happy to help out. I hope you have solved your problems! Go Pack Go!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Fermentation (Wort to Still Beer)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests