Heavy alcohol smell coming from Secondary

Post #1 made 10 years ago
So I brewed an AG APA about 2.5-3 weeks ago. OG 1.052 and after the Kreuzen had disappeared I checked the gravity and it was at roughly 1.013. I checked it two days later and it was the same. I was unsure if I should bottle it or transfer it to secondary so I transferred it hoping to get rid of most of the yeast and avoid getting it in the bottles. I closed the lid tightly on the bucket, but not to the point of being air tight, I think. I opened the lid a day or so later with the plan to just set the lid on the bucket loosely, again worrying I might mess this batch up. I couldn't resist smelling the beer and I found that it had a hot/alcohol smell to it. It's now been in the secondary for about 5 days and the smell is still there but not quite as strong.
Is this something I should worry about? I was quite careful with my sanitation, I cleaned the secondary bucket and used star-san to sanitize it...

Thanks in advance!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Canada

Post #2 made 10 years ago
I have found that a lot of times beer that did not have a strong alcohol smell by the time it made to my glass, did have sort of a "nose stingy" smell when in the fermenter. Maybe it's just the concentration of 5 gallons all right there at the same time that gives it that extra sting.

Post #3 made 10 years ago
It sounds normal DigB - Some brews are different to others, but as long as there is no infection you may find it just needs a little conditioning. :luck:
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Heavy alcohol smell coming from Secondary

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Ok, crisis averted....I think....
I bottled yesterday. First day I was able to as Christmas was busy! I checked the specific gravity again and it was still 1.012, it tasted really good, actually, so I hope it tastes better when it's cold and carb'd. I guess the smell was normal!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Canada

Post #5 made 10 years ago
See! You did well. No worries. The hardest part of brewing is waiting for the beer to mature. Always have a pipeline going so it doesn't seem to take that long? Something is always ready to try!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Fermentation (Wort to Still Beer)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 28 guests