Cleaning bag

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Just wondering how people clean thirst their brewing bag after brewing. I've brewed five batches so far and my brewing bag smells a little.

After brew day I run the brewing bag under water to get all the grain out and then let it dry. I guess I could use PBW to clean it, or maybe star san? (those are the chemicals I have)

Thanks!

Post #2 made 10 years ago
Three3Beer wrote:Just wondering how people clean thirst their brewing bag after brewing. I've brewed five batches so far and my brewing bag smells a little.

After brew day I run the brewing bag under water to get all the grain out and then let it dry. I guess I could use PBW to clean it, or maybe star san? (those are the chemicals I have)

Thanks!

Unscented Napisan works for me (fermenters too...)
Last edited by thylacine on 20 Mar 2014, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Rinse under the tap to get all the grain out and then into the washing machine with any other clothes or towels you have ready to wash. Cold cycle is fine and using washing powder is fine as we are talking nylon.

Your bag definitely shouldn't smell. The reason it is smelling is because you aren't washing it. A quick rinse and hanging to dry allows a really nice place for a heap of nasties to have sex all over your bag.

A bad smell from anything in your brewing is a bad sign with only the fewest of exceptions (I know there is one on some funny brew but I can't even think of it.)

Your bag is buggered at the moment...

To fix your bag, I would boil it in a saucepan on your cook-top for say half an hour or forty five minutes to be safe making sure that it doesn't float to the top and remain un-boiled.

After that wash it in the washing machine preferably on a hot wash.

After that, on every brew day, wash your bag on the day of brewing or leave it 'suffocated' in a bucket of water until your next washing machine load.

:peace:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 20 Mar 2014, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 10 years ago
I have read some people get grain caught in the stitching of the bag and I guess over time nasties appear. One way around that is to use the bag inside out so stitching on the outside. Thus grain on the inside with nowhere to hide. (A bit like wearing your pants inside out) :lol:

Personally I have gone with the no bag method, more a circular sheet Style bag. Just some voile, cut in a big circle to slip in my urn. I pull the edges together and use a slip knot to pull the bag out and have sealed the edge with a flame to prevent fraying, just like you do to seal nylon rope. Upside is no stitching or joins, easy to make, no weak points and best of all easy to clean. I use PP's method as above. Hose down and into the washing machine.

First brew mind you I didn't hose down, straight in with the washing - (schoolboy error!) wasn't so good for the rest of the washing, itchy jocks full of grain husks! :idiot:

Needless to say wife was not too impressed either but that's another story.
Last edited by bundy on 20 Mar 2014, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #6 made 10 years ago
I always (when I remember) have the stitching on the outside so I don't get things caught on the inside. I just rinse it well under water and let drip dry. I may have some need now and then to take the "cleaned" bag and soak it in PBW or Oxyclean to remove stains. In reality when your drinking a beer. I doubt that you can taste a stain so why bother?
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #7 made 10 years ago
Thanks for the replies.

The smell is mild but definitely something I want to take care of.

I always put the stiching on the outside. I do however want to make a new bag and stitch it with a machine as well as double layered (got the idea from Bob!). First bag is hand sewn, which took FOREVER!!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Post #8 made 10 years ago
Three3Beer,

A mention on double layer. It drains as fast and easy as one layer. Don't worry about it being any different except that it will be able to hold a lot more weight and with more confidence. My boss (She who must be obeyed) or SWMBO. Made a bunch for me at one time. I sold a few to make back the cost and she made a few dollar too!

http://www.stempski.com/biab.php

:drink: Cheers :drink:
Last edited by BobBrews on 20 Mar 2014, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #9 made 10 years ago
Some great advice here,

When using: - put the stitching on the outside
When finished brewing - turn inside out and wash with cool / cold water, then wash in a washing machine
Dry well and store.

PP makes a good point, you need to get your current bag back to a 'safe' condition.

I have been following PP's and BB' advice on my voile bag for all of my 10 brews and it still smells and looks good.

You did not say, but what is your bag made of?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Return to “Cleaning and Sanitisation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 10 guests