Kegging Shortcuts

Post #1 made 11 years ago
Washing and sanitising kegs, has taken over from bottling as being the bane of my life. I’d rather be brewing and being creative. It’s like being stuck with the washing up after cooking a great meal. I need Help!...please!

1. Does anyone have any good time efficient tips on cleaning and sanitising kegs please?

2. Does anyone fill a keg when it becomes empty, right away, without cleaning and sanitising, on occasion. I did it once with a test batch I wasn’t worried about and got away with it.

3. Do you need to take the posts apart when cleaning every time? or just when you first buy the keg? Or occasionally?

4. I read on the net that some people (Jeff Smith, and others with variations on same theme) seem to wash their kegs, sanitise, purge out the air with CO2, pressurize and store their kegs like that until needed, and they are ready to go, and simply need to be filled. Is that a good idea? Does it work?

5. Does anyone use a one stage cleaner/sanitiser such as Iodophor or One Step to do both jobs at the same time? Iodophor and One Step are both no-rinse.

6. If No. 4 above is a viable practice, could I rinse out the kegs with hot tap water and then use no-rinse Iodophor or One Step for that, to make one step less in the process?

7. (One Step info: http://www.beer-wine.com/products/one-step-cleanser The product reviews on this link suggest it is a good sanitizer as well as a cleaner: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/one-step.html I'm thinking of trying it)

8. Any hot tips or shortcuts for kegging.
Last edited by GuingesRock on 15 Jan 2013, 18:19, edited 4 times in total.
Guinges

Post #2 made 11 years ago
First up, idophor is just a sanitiser, it won't clean.

My method, well 2 methods depending on use.

When I finish a keg and I'm going to use it soon, I'll just leave it sealed as is, with pressure. (but disconnected from the gas lines) my view is that its still clean and sanitary until the seal is broken. When I come to use it I vent the pressure and rinse it out, then check inside for any crud which is usually only there in any amount if I have naturally carbed and there has been a secondary fermentation. A rinse usually clears everything out. I then 1/4 fill with starsan, pressurise, shake and leave upside down for a bit to sanatise the cap area. I then lay it on its side with the In post on the bottom and drain a Litre of starsan out through the post using a spare disconnect. Then I stand it upright and drain the rest through the out post via a disconnect and tap. I then leave it with some pressure in it until ready to fill. When filling I just give it a shake, vent, remove lid pour out excess starsan and fill.

If the keg is going to be stored I'll give it the works with Oxy, breaking down the posts to clean properly. Rinse well, then do as above. When bringing it back into service I do the 1/4 fill starsan routine again then fill.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 11 years ago
:interesting:

Cheers Yeasty. That helps. Thanks.

ps. I seem to remember Joshua mentioned something about cleaning with Iodophor. I don't know much about it. Maybe I misinterpreted what he was saying.

found it........
I like "Iodofor" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodophor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) because it is NO-Rinse when prepared properly, and can be made strong, as a disinfection wash, for BIG problems.
Last edited by GuingesRock on 15 Jan 2013, 21:16, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #4 made 11 years ago
pps. Yeasty, how many times will you do a step 1 before doing a thorough clean (step 2). In other words, if the keg is constantly being rinsed, sanitised and refilled, do you find you need to intermittantly do a thorough break down and clean, or not. Thanks
Last edited by GuingesRock on 16 Jan 2013, 04:11, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #6 made 11 years ago
Thanks Bob, I'll go through that a bit later (I'm at work)

Just had another thought. Alcohol is somewhat of a cleaner (and a sanitiser). Perhaps the alcohol in the beer dregs is facilitating the cleaning in Yeasty's method 1 process, maybe that's ridiculous, but the yeast residue would have about 5% or more alcohol in it. Yeast residue seems to be really easy to clean with water, whereas krausen isn't.

At the moment (on what I have to go on so far), I'm thinking of doing the Yeasty method 1 process, but using One Step peroxide cleaner/sanitiser.

If cleaner/sanitizer is being run through the tubes and posts there may be no need to take the posts apart for cleaning, unless hop leaves get stuck in there or something.

Thanks for the help.
Guinges

Post #7 made 11 years ago
GuingesRock wrote:pps. Yeasty, how many times will you do a step 1 before doing a thorough clean (step 2). In other words, if the keg is constantly being rinsed, sanitised and refilled, do you find you need to intermittantly do a thorough break down and clean, or not. Thanks
Probably just a couple as I try to rotate my kegs so as to keep them "fresh". I find that seals can dry out and crack if left too long. The main danger are the poppets which can weep when under pressure when starting to fail resulting in lost gas or lost beer :argh: .
Last edited by Yeasty on 16 Jan 2013, 05:21, edited 2 times in total.

Post #8 made 11 years ago
Has anyone used One Step before I take the plunge? It SOUNDS like just the thing for what I want to do, and it's inexpensive:

From the link in #1:
Product Description

One Step Cleanser is the only no-rinse cleanser that uses active oxygen to do its work. Does not contain chlorine, bisulfited, organic compounds or phosphates. Simply add 1 tablespoon One Step per gallon of cold or warm water and dissolve. Rinse or soak equipment and bottles with the One Step solution and use. For best results, insure that you have a 30 second contact time with the One Step solution.
Perfect for stainless steel tanks as One Step Cleanser will not harm metal surfaces
8oz. package

More Info:

What makes One Step different from other powdered cleansers?One Step is the only environmentally sound no-rinse cleanser on the market. Other powdered cleansers either require rinsing due to their alkaline nature or use materials that can be harmful to the ecosystem. One Step is also the only no-rinse cleanser that uses active oxygen to do its work.How do you use One Step?Simply add 1 tablespoon One Step per gallon of cold or warm water and dissolve. Rinse or soak equipment and bottles with the One Step solution and use. For best results, insure that you have a 30 second contact time with the One Step solution.How long is the One Step solution good for?Many factors come into play in answering that question. One Step works by producing hydrogen peroxide in solution, so the most important thing is to keep that peroxide. Peroxides are degraded by organic soils, light, and heat, so if you keep your solution away from those things, it will stay better, longer. In a closed, dark, and clean container, the solution will last up to 1 week. In a closed, clean container in a refrigerator, the solution is good for over a month (but let it warm up before you use it).Will One Step harm metal surfaces?No.How is One Step environmentally sound?One Step is a unique substance which consists of oxygen entrained with a mineral crystal. When added to water, this crystal dissolves and releases the oxygen in such a way to form hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide does its work and degrades into oxygen and water, leaving only the minerals behind. Those minerals are naturally occuring compounds in the environment and are quite stable-- in fact, you probably have appreciable amounts of them in the tap water you drink.How can a no-rinse cleanser like One Step not affect beer flavor?There is a very low level of solid material in a One Step solution (1 Tbsp. per gallon is not much!). Once bottles or equipment have been rinsed, the solution easily drains off, leaving very little solution behind-- which has very little solids. Even those solids that may be left are the same types of minerals which you would be leaving behind if you were to go ahead and rinse with tap water. (Not to mention the fact that a lot of the mineral content of the One Step solution is the same as that responsible for the excellent water of Burton-on-Trent brews!)

From the other link in #1:
works as a sanitizer Review by Jason
Despite the fact that this product is described as a cleanser and not a sanitizer, i used it exclusively as a sanitizer for months without any problems. only drawback is that at it seemed to get used up quickly vs starsan. (Posted on 10/9/12)

Great cleaner Review by sjporr
I use this in conjunction with starsan. Some might call that over kill but I did have a batch get infected a while back due to just useing this as a cleaner/sanatizer. I know people say you can but after the infected beer I would rather be safe than sorry and still use a sanatizer. (Posted on 3/18/12)

great stuff Review by Del
It's a sanitizer, not a cleaner. Used for close to 40 batches to sanitize fermenting, kegging, bottling never had a problem... (Posted on 11/28/11)

use for cleaning and sanitizing Review by meltedlead
I bought a bucket of this and never touched it as I typically use bleach to sanitize my fermentors. But when I started kegging I knew I needed something less harsh so I started using One Step. Works like a charm! Have not had a problem yet. Have at it. (Posted on 11/1/11)

Zero Problems Review by acepilot
I've been using it exclusively for "sanitizing" all of my equipment for several years. Never lost a batch to infection yet. (Posted on 4/21/11)

Prefer it to Sanstar Review by Wings
While technically they cannot call this product a sanitiser, it must kill bacteria as I've never had a spoiled batch. It works kinda like hydrogen peroxide does. I just wish it foamed like peroxide does when in contact with bacteria to let you know it's working.
I do like it better than Sanstar since One Step is not an acid. While Sanstar is safe at the recommended level, it's still an acid that can hurt certain equipment over time like the bladder in my press. (Posted on 9/15/10)
As well, if it works, it addresses my other concerns on here:http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1878 nicely!

Any other time saving tips please?
Last edited by GuingesRock on 16 Jan 2013, 17:52, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #9 made 11 years ago
BobBrews wrote:Kegging parts 1 - 4,
This guy is OCD but good information http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC7MDb0IuLs
Hope
Bob, I watched your guy’s videos (four of them to show his keg cleaning process). He is maniacally cleaning one keg only and it looks like it took him hours (and four videos) to clean that keg. He is thoroughly enjoying himself though. I wanted to join in :party: :P
Last edited by GuingesRock on 16 Jan 2013, 19:50, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #10 made 11 years ago
GuingesRock wrote:He is thoroughly enjoying himself though. I wanted to join in :party: :P
:argh: :headhit: You need to see a Doctor, go find yourself a mirror :headhit:
Last edited by Yeasty on 16 Jan 2013, 19:58, edited 2 times in total.

Post #11 made 11 years ago
:lol:

Hey!!!, Careful mate! Don't forget I'm getting the goods on your drunken New Years Eve spree in Mevagissey :party: :lol: when you were on leave from your minsweeper! HOW long had you been at sea :!:
Guinges

Post #12 made 11 years ago
Once i finish a keg I just put it aside still full of gas, or even leave it empty in my keg fridge if I have the room.

On the day I am ready to use it I purge the gas, open the keg and spray hot water from the tap into it and rinse the main crud out. While I am doing this I boil the kettle and when its boiled I pour it back into the keg, seal it and shake it up.

This creates pressure in the keg, so i put a rag over the outpost (beer post) and get a screw driver and press the poppet down and drain all the water I can out which cleans the dip tube.

I then open it again, pour the remainder of the hot water out and spray the inside with idophor and turn it upside down to drain... keg cleaned.

I probably only do a proper breakdown and clean every 10 brews, but my kegs are in pretty high rotation and they still look pretty clean as I am breaking them down.

Post #13 made 11 years ago
GuingesRock,

That guy is the definition of over kill. I rinse with StarSan. I pressurize and run the StarSan solution through a cobra head (Picnic tap) and store the keg. I used to use one step powder but I prefer a liquid that is more easily dissolved in cold water. As much as I hate to do it. You should disassemble the posts and grease with recommended lubricant.

I just reused a keg that was recently emptied. I was lazy so I just dumped out the keg, flushed with water and sanitized. I refilled the keg with a new beer and purged the air with c02. As I pressurize I spray StarSan on the lid looking for bubbles to indicate a c02 leek. Some of the spray went on the posts and one of them was leaking c02. The post had hop residue in it causing a leak. So I had to dissemble the posts and clean.

I keep a old spray bottle with StarSan next to my kegging equipment. It has saved me from wasting a bottle of c02 due to leaking lids and valves. :nup:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #15 made 11 years ago
BrewMitta wrote:2'
M c m
I knew there was a really easy answer!!!!! :champ: Thanks!. I'm busy trying to unscramble the code :think: :dunno: :? :scratch:

...Got it :P top secret though :ugeek: :smoke:

Thenks very much Aces High and Bob....The plot thickens! :think:
Last edited by GuingesRock on 16 Jan 2013, 23:17, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #17 made 11 years ago
BobBrews wrote:GuingesRock,

I used to use one step powder but I prefer a liquid that is more easily dissolved in cold water. :nup:
Bob, Did you use One Step to sanitise, to clean or both at the same time?

Thanks

:)
Last edited by GuingesRock on 18 Jan 2013, 19:56, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #18 made 11 years ago
Both, One Step came with a start up kit when I first started brewing. I bought more when it was gone and when that was used up I wanted to try something else and I tried StarSan. I never looked back! The only infections I had were from a leaky connection on my immersion chiller. Now I no-chill and am infection free!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Cleaning and Sanitisation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 6 guests