BIABrewer.info

Home of BIAB - All-Grain Brewing in A Bag
Great beer... It's in the bag!

Skip to content

View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:51 pm

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:58 pm 
As I cruise the webs to find new information, ideas, recipes etc., I am constantly coming across terms and acronyms I don't know. I find the acronyms particularly difficult, there are so many.lol (if I never see another "lol" its ok with me)

I could foresee something like a wikipedia for beer terms. Could that be done with a spread sheet that could be passed around?

Or is this even somthing that others see as being necessary? :sneak:

trout

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:34 pm 
It is a good idea 2trout and Admin have already allocated a thread for it. It is a load of work though and I think it will probably be after the Biabacus is released as that is taking priority at the moment.

Please chip in with any terms/acronyms you find so they can be added to the list. They do crop up all over and new ones seem to be appearing all the time, its a PITA trying to figure out what they all mean and its a bit embarassing to ask as it makes you look stupid, even though 100's of other people are thinking the same.

:thumbs:

BDI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:56 pm 
BDI,

I can't seem to find that thread, (of course my tells me I look for things just like a man, "you look, but you dont see what is right in front of your face".) I will add things as I find them.

trout

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:13 am 
2trout wrote:
BDI,

I can't seem to find that thread, (of course my tells me I look for things just like a man, "you look, but you dont see what is right in front of your face".) I will add things as I find them.

trout

Sorry trout I mislead you a bit there, the threads has been allocated but it is hidden from general view as it is under construction and is still being put together. As you can appreciate this will be quiet a big thread considering all the A-Z's that have to be written. By all means contibute here if you find an obscure one, I'll be able to cut and paste it across if we haven't already got it covered.

:salute:

BDI

User avatar  Offline  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:06 am 
BTDT. IMNSHO acronyms can get very confusing. YMMV. TTFN.

--Todd

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:09 pm 
2trout wrote:
Or is this even something that others see as being necessary?
Creating simple, unambiguous terminology is extremely important 2trout. Your thinking along these lines is definitely correct. In fact, this one area has always been regarded by us as being critical in the upcoming changes to the site. For example, clear terminology acts as the most essential building blocks of the BIABacus.

As BDI explained above, we have been working away behind the scenes on this. The, "Brewing Process and Terminology Chart," below shows some of this work.
Attachment:
Brewing Terminology 3.0.jpg
[If this doesn't display clearly enough please let us know whether the .pdf I have attached at the end solves the problem.]

In the chart, as far as possible, we have tried to use terminology that is self-explanatory, unambiguous and easily acronym-ed.

Over the new year's break, we'll be working full-time on a critical site re-structure and BIABacus release. If you can think of this as being like publishing a technical book, what we are aiming for over the new year is to have all the chapter headings and summaries in place as well as the critical text.

What this means is that we'll have the site re-structured and the BIABacus out but only the most critical threads and posts will have been written. For example, I strongly suspect that the, "Brewing Process and Terminology Chart," above will have no attached glossary. Our hope though is that we will be able to have enough out there so that everyone can help each other to get under way and make the most use of the many revolutionary features that have been created while we finish up on filling in the blanks.

Please feel free to ask any questions or suggest improvements on the above chart in this thread.

Many thanks,
Pat

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]