Heating element in the mash tun?

Post #1 made 8 years ago
Hi,

As i said on another threads i plan to switch to electric brewing. Can i "fire" the heating element from the kettle during the mash to keep the mash temperature at the required value? Recirculation is a possibility to equalize the temperature from the mash. I will have a PID and a pt100 probe for controlling the element, that's why i want to make a constant temperature mash tun. It needs to be said that it will stil be a biab mashtun, but i don't exclude trying a traditional mash with sparging.

Post #2 made 8 years ago
Is your Kettle the Mash Tun??? And is your Element a Low density wattage Style????

If you bag is Hanging on the Heater Element, there is a Good Chance that your bag Can Melt and Create Holes.

A Pizza screen (False Bottom) on some Stand-off Bolts can keep your bag Off the Element.

One other thing, If you go Full electric, you can use enough Insulation, that may take an hour to cover and uncover, and lose no more than 0.5F over 120 minutes.
Note: Insulating the Bottom, really Helps.

JMHO YMMV
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Can i "fire" the heating element from the kettle during the mash to keep the mash temperature at the required value?
Short answer is yes, with or without a screen with no pump. :)

Generally, brewers do put in some kind of a screen between the element/probe and bag for protection of the bag. Read joshua, thughes and lonetexan comments in my thread for some extra details.

Some brewers no not use a pump and I tried being in that group, but did end up with a pump. It gives great automatic temp control that you can walk away from it and return at the end of the mash. This is my setup here in post #28 and #31; viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3306&p=49641#p49477

MS
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 20 Aug 2015, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 8 years ago
Yes, my kettle is my mash tun, sorry for the confusion. The element in ULWD, but i have another one that i might use if the old camco will die. This is a chinese LWD (from my calculation, on ebay they say it's ULWD but seems shorter than a ULWD one).

Return to “Electric BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 16 guests