Buffalo boiler set up

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Hi all

apologies if there is already to thread about this, I did use the advanced search but didn't find what I was looking for.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using a 40l buffalo boiler for BIAB, and if so, how it's been set up. What mods are essential or advised? Which type of thermometer is best to use? Is there a specific bag I should buy or am I best making one myself? Apologies for all the questions!

I'm hoping to do my first brew in it soon. I'm new to BIAB, having only used kits before, but bought myself a buffalo recently and am keen to get started!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Ben

Post #2 made 9 years ago
Hi Ben,

I know that Lars uses a Buffalo, and I still have one but only use it occasionally now.
I did a topic on the tap here. Though that may not help you that much?

I never changed the tap or electrics even after using it for a couple of years. I did try using an internal copper "pickup" tube to save me from having to tip the boiler to drain the wort, but I more often than not forgot to fit it before filling with water! :idiot:
Last edited by mally on 18 Mar 2015, 03:11, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Hi Mally

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at the topic. A pickup tube sounds interesting.... I had been wondering about the practicalities of tipping the boiler .

Have you found it a decent enough boiler for biab?

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Hi Ben,

The buffalo 40L is great for BIAB, like I said I used mine for a couple of years, doing all styles and gravities.
If you wanted to do higher gravities like barley wines etc. you may have to reduce the volume or maxi-BIAB, but it is nothing that is too difficult.

You will need to "lag" it though. I used some foil backed polystyrene insulation that is typically used behind household radiators in the UK.
Foil side towards the boiler and wrap a few times you should be good to go. Even with this I would lose a couple of degrees C over the 90 minute mash.
Camping mats, duvets, sleeping bags, or ski jackets etc. are all just as useful.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #7 made 9 years ago
Hi Ben. I love my 40l buffalo. I got a custom made bag from http://custombiab.blogspot.ie/?m=1 which i would highly recommend. Also i put a tap in mine and made a copper manifold which blocks when i use pellets. With hindsight i might skip the tap and just siphon out the wort. I saw an excellent copper siphon on here a long time ago and it included a built in manifold. Unfortunately i can't remember who posted it. Ive also bypassed all of the safety cutouts which isn't ideal. For a start id recommend you disconnect the boildry thermostat from the base of the element and just mount it further away. That way itll still prevent a complete meltdown but shouldnt cause cutouts during boil

Post #10 made 9 years ago
Hi Lars. Are there any instructions on how to move the boildry thermostat? I don't want to risk any cut outs on first brew so may move it as a precaution.

I checked out the custombiab but it seems theyre having some problems at the moment. I dod find another company that make a bufobag for the buffalo boilers. They charge £18.99 for the 40l one. I have no idea whether thats good value or not!

Post #11 made 9 years ago
Hi Ben, im not sure about instructions. I remember finding a thread dedicated to buffalo mods on jbk. However, the boil dry sensor is mounted on the underside of the element, held in place by 2 nuts. Id recommend remiving the nuts and somehow keeping it away from the element. You need to be careful thst whatever you do wont result in a live wire coming in contact with the chassis.

Post #12 made 9 years ago
Hi Ben, instructions with pictures. I have a Buffalo and am very happy with it.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/78765 ... try1173078

As for a BIAB Bags I use Swiss voil just cut in a circle and the edges sealed by running it around a naked flame from a tea candle to stop them fraying. I do the same thing for a hop sock just a lot smaller.

Upside is its just a flat piece of material, easy to wash, never worry about stitching coming apart and even better no worries of stuck bits of grain getting trapped in a corner and growing into something nasty. When pulling out of the kettle I just use a bit of rope fashioned in a hangmans noose. Couldn't get much simpler or cheaper.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #14 made 9 years ago
I just came across this thread. I've been using the circular sheet of voile for several years. To make life easier, you can take a shorter length of rope or twine, do a hangmans noose and incorporate a stainless steel hook into the opposite end. In the photo I also used a hangman's noose as it's the only knot I know apart from tying my shoelaces. The wee hooks are usually sold in hardware stores for a few dollars in bubble packs of two, four or whatever.

At the end of your hoist rope also fit a hook, or if you have a double pulley hoist as I do there will be an eyelet anyway.

That way when you remove the "bag" you simply lift it off, drop it into a bucket and deal with it later.

I agree about the ready made, or home made bags. Too many seams to cause problems.
I hemmed my own circle using a sewing machine for the first time in my life. I resembled a bronco rider at a rodeo for a few minutes but avoided injuring myself or stabbing my fingers. :smoke:
Last edited by Beachbum on 28 May 2015, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Electric BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 27 guests