first mini BIAB

Post #1 made 12 years ago
i made a 1.25gal starter the other day with 1.5# 2-row and .5# rolled oats (steeped at 170F for 15 min) and when i was done, i had an extremely cloudy wort. comprised of such fine particulate i still got some into my flasks. does BIAB normally have such large amounts of trub, or could it have been the oatmeal? the mesh size on my material i made the bag from is quite a bit larger than the finest sized hop bags, so i crushed pretty darn large. any ideas?
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '11]

Post #2 made 12 years ago
I would suspect 15 mins is not long enough to convert all the starches. This is why 60-90 mins is recommended

Biab does produce a turbid wort into the kettle, but a vigorous boil encourages all the particulates to clump together and with the addition of whirlfloc fall out during the whirlpool
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #3 made 12 years ago
the steep was prior to the mash in attemp to gelatinize. the mash was basically: ~15 min protien rest, 30 at 153F and 30 at 160F. this was due to not wanting >1.040 wort if possible. i was building up from a slant from dec 09.
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '11]

Post #4 made 12 years ago
Hello,

I'm planning my first mini BIAB this weekend, probably 10 lts. (2 gallon) I will brew an APA and made my calculations using brewmate, but Brew mate and Calculator that I found here gives slightly different values. Which software should I use?

My second question I have Northern Brewer, Fuggles, Hallertau, Saaz, East Kent Goldings hops. I'm planning to use Northern Brewer as bittering hop and one of the others as flavor & aroma hop. Is that a good combo?

Thanks,

Post #5 made 12 years ago
I'd stick with the calculator, you will find that it is surprisingly accurate and once you have 5 + brews done you can dial in your averages and it gets even more accurate.

As to hops I'd use the Fuggles or EGK or a mix of the two :think: you ain't going to use many with a 2 gallon brew.

Start another thread if you need to post your recipe and someone will check it over.

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Return to “Stove-top BIAB (also known as Mini-BIAB)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 24 guests