quick question on boiling temp

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Hi all just received all my kit which includes a 50ltr kettle, thought I would do a trial run with water to see how fast and if I could get a boil on my stove top, getting up to mash temp was in the norm and managed to get to boil in about 45mins on my stove top, my digital probe thermometer wouldn't pass 99'c but my glass spirit thermometer said I was hitting 103'c could you please be kind enough to view my YouTube video and tell me if the boil will be sufficient to biab, I couldn't get it to boil more than in the vid. Thanks.

http://youtu.be/IHxlpggMjoQ
Last edited by fluidjuice on 01 Feb 2015, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.

Post #2 made 9 years ago
Fluidjuice, I would say you have the 99C Strong Simmer running.

But, depending on your elevation above sea level and current weather conditions, the Spirit thermometer may be close to the True temperature of water.

If you have a stainless steel bowl that will float in the kettle, it will greatly increase the Boil off Rate.

Or you can try a stronger heat source.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Hi thanks for your quick reply, I'm currently about 75 m above sea level and here its winter, I am going for another trial run this time with a as bowl as mentioned is size of bowl relevant?
I'm also thinking of using a foil covered foam camping mat to wrap around kettle whilst heating to see if I can gain the extra few degrees needed for the boil, can anyone advise of any more ways I could raise temp, thanks

Post #4 made 9 years ago
FJ, 75 meters above sea level is a place that water may need to be 102C to boil on days with High Barometer pressure.

The Bowl size is used to reduce the area of the Boiling Surface, and that allows the energy of the Boil to be smaller and therefor more active.

A very large bowl will reduce the area, so much, the Bowl may tumble into the wort.

If you have a choice, Start with a bowl about 1/4 to 1/3 the Diameter of the kettle.

That should help the Simmer to become a Full Boil!!

Also, never fully cover the kettle when boiling, as that will keep the nasty Bits from getting out(DMS).

Post #6 made 9 years ago
FG, after reaching mash Temperatures it is good the Cover the entire kettle to keep it warm.

When Boiling, the Outside insulation may overheat and melt/Burn.

If you can find some Cer-Wool, a ceramic refractory fiber Blanket, it is totally fireproof, but most other insulation has a Flammable Binder material.

Post #7 made 9 years ago
Hi there fj :peace:,

Couple of fast things...

Your thermometer readings are very important for one reason and one reason only... MOST THERMOMETERS ARE NOT ACCURATE!!!

Read here and download the file there to see just how little you can trust a single thermometer.

While it is very important to have a few thermometers you can trust at mash temperatures, boiling point is not that important so don't worry about your thermometer readings. What is important during the boil is vigour. The boil does many things but for simplicity's sake, you are really wanting 'shake' some nasties out of your sweet liquor turning it into wort. Boiling shakes things well. Simmering shakes things but not nearly as well...

Your video shows simmering and it really isn't good enough so you definitely need to follow Josh's advice above. Float a large stainless steel bowl on the top of your sweet liquor/potential wort. This will shake the sweet liquor vigorously (it will boil , not simmer) and the nasties will easily be forced out of the sweet liquor.

So do that.

But also make sure you have several thermometers so as you can get a good average on your mash temps.

:peace:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 02 Feb 2015, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #9 made 9 years ago
FJ, that is Good boil, and may be the amount that BIABACUS projects. Well Done!!

Post #11 made 9 years ago
Ive felt the boil on my buffalo to be a little weak. Uve been trying to come up with all sorts of complicated solutions suvh as making a heatstick or adding an extra element. This is an excellent and simple solution. I cant wait to try it

Return to “Stove-top BIAB (also known as Mini-BIAB)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 7 guests