Back to BIAB - is this kettle too small?

Post #1 made 11 years ago
I'm just getting back to BIAB - and mini-BIAB in particular after falling back to the 3-tier system I've had for years.

This past weekend I bought a 5.5 gal pot to brew 2.5 gal to 3 gal batches with. However, after doing some numbers on the Calculator, I am thinking I should have bought a larger size??

What I was going to start with was a 3 gallon batch of English Bitter with a OG of around 1.037. According to the calculator I will need a mash volume of 7.22 gal !? Maybe I missed something here or did my conversions wrong (yes I am terrible with metric). Can someone review this and see if it is correct?

Cheers
Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #2 made 11 years ago
Opalko, I found a 1.050sg beer needs twice the mash volume of the Final volume of beer.

So you should be able to use the 5.5 gallon kettle to make 2.6 Gallon batch of 1.040/1.050sg beer.

You may want change the 90 minute boil to 60 or 72 minutes, and adjust the hop schedule.

You should also measure the kettle depth, near the end the boil, to get the proper volume.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 11 years ago
Hi there Opalko and welcome back to BIAB :peace:,

There's been a few developments here recently. For example, The Calculator has been replaced with a pre-release version of the BIABacus. The general principles of the Calculator remain the same however the BIABacus is far more powerful and will in fact do lots of stuff that no other software can do. I have put your recipe into the BIABacus here.
BIABacus PR1.3A - English BItter Opalko.xls
Before you do anything...

In your calculator file you had a pot diameter of 45 cms. This does not sound right for a 5.5 gallon pot. Can you check your kettle height and depth and change these in Section B of the BIABacus? (If your pot is a keggle, see here).

Finally, have a read through the pre-release link above as this will let you know how to approach the BIABacus.

After that...

One of the many capabilities the BIABacus has is that it can account for non full-volume brews. Have a play around in Section W. The BIABacus will let you know with red warnings if any numbers you type in there will push the limits of your kettle too far. The same will happen if you change the 'Desired Volume into Fermentor (VIF)' figure in Section B.

Normally, you can only post BIABacus files into a few threads here atm but feel free to post files here or your questions as I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Also, don't get worried about so much info being on one sheet in the BIABacus as you'll soon see what the important sections are for you. For now, just focus on Sections A to D, K and, if you want, W.

;)
PP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 08 Jun 2013, 18:34, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Stove-top BIAB (also known as Mini-BIAB)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 23 guests