combine two Mini's in fermenter?

Post #1 made 11 years ago
Hi, I've only made brews from standard 40 pint kits, which I've transferred to corny kegs. I'd like to do a BIAB , but equipment, space and a disability limit me to a 19L stock pot so MINI BIAB's are ideal. but I'd like to keep using my kegs.

Can I make 2 x 9+ litre brews, adding the second to the fermenter a few hours later, possibly even the next day if the temps are equal... ie brew first batch, cool. transfer to fermenter, pitch yeast, brew second 9+ litres, cool, add to fermenter so that I end up with a full kegs worth of beer.
Last edited by pyrotech on 01 Feb 2013, 18:59, edited 2 times in total.

Post #2 made 11 years ago
Hi pyro,

This is certainly doable, just think of your first batch as a massive starter :roll: . If you have the space you could always ferment seperatly and combine into the keg. I'd do whatever was easiest for you.

Have you thought about Maxi-Biab, that way you can squeeze 21 ish L volume into Fermenter out of a 19L pot. which should give you around 19L into packaging. This all depends if you are up to the hassle of sparging your bag and topping up during the boil plus a possible post boil diluting into your fermenter. Think about it :scratch: and if you want answers to any questions post away the guys will help you out.

:peace:

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 11 years ago
Thank you very much, for a quick reply... I'm a stubborn sod I like to do things myself. I've lower back damage that makes heavy lifting like I've seen on some of the bigger batch videos beyond me.. So I think I can handle 4.5 kilos of grain plus water split over two loads. Yep . I'll adopt the mind set you suggest and treat it as a large starter.. that will work fine for me...

Again Thank you.

Post #4 made 11 years ago
Hello Pyrotech,

There might be some advantages to your proposed method, other than simply avoiding too much lifting.

For example if you were using a stove and you had two pots, the brew would be heated up quicker as you were using two stove elements.

Different things could be done in each pot maybe, different grain bills, different hopping methods, perhaps hop bursting in one pot and FWH in the other, extract in one and grain in the other for a partial mash, maybe even different beers to be blended in the fermenter.

You may have invented a whole new brewing world :)
Guinges

Post #5 made 11 years ago
pyrotech,
You can also cube your first brew in a 10L cube (Link) - I've used when I only had a 15L kettle. Just thinking - you can then do is to put the cube overnight in a fridge and mix it with your fresh/new brew to cool it down quickly?! It should work... :think:
Last edited by lambert on 01 Feb 2013, 23:47, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Swaziland

Post #6 made 11 years ago
lambert wrote:pyrotech,
You can also cube your first brew in a 10L cube (Link) - I've used when I only had a 15L kettle. Just thinking - you can then do is to put the cube overnight in a fridge and mix it with your fresh/new brew to cool it down quickly?! It should work... :think:
:clap: :clap: Good one, nice lateral thinking there Bertie..
Last edited by Yeasty on 02 Feb 2013, 00:24, edited 2 times in total.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Return to “Stove-top BIAB (also known as Mini-BIAB)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 10 guests