Pro-Mini-BIAB! My new build :)

Post #1 made 11 years ago
Well, I'm going full Mini BIAB and building the equipment for it especially. Why, you ask? Because right now, I'm brewing for quantity, and that is not good. My aim is to learn to make very excellent beer, and by increasing my number of brewdays, I can be more immersed in the hobby and get myself to competition standard :)

I want to make 2 gallon all grain batches. I am doing so at the moment on the hob, but I want something a bit more fun to do it with, so here's my idea...

1x 21L Food Grade Bucket £9.00 - ballihoo
1x Tesco Kettle Element £5.69 - tesco
2x Mashing bags (already have one) £6.50 - ballihoo
1x Digital Thermometer £2.99 - ebay
1x 2 gallon FV (already have.)
1x Copper hop filter and ball valve tap - free (or very cheap) from girlfriend's dad :)

Total cost - £24.18 for All Grain Brewing!

Build - Drill the kettle element into the bucket. Insulate this to act as both the mash tun and the boiler. Drill a tiny hole in the lid for digital thermometer cable.

Mash - Bring water to strike temp using element, dough in and seal. Thermometer will keep a constant eye on the temperature which I'm hoping won't drop. When mashing is complete, lift the bag and drain.

Boil - when bag has drained, take OG and bring to the boil. Peg second mash bag to the sides, then follow hop/ingredient schedule. After 60 mins, lift hop bag out and drain. No hop filter needed! This also means that if I want to really bung on the aroma hops, I can remove the bittering and flavour hops to make room for them, then go nuts on them :)

Cooling - transfer to FV and cool in ice bath. When temp is reached, pitch yeast.

The hop filter will act as a filter for break material, and also additives like cocoa. Hops will be boiled in a bag so that if I want to go overboard on aroma hops, I can remove the flavour and bittering hops, and boil for an extra 10 minutes with just the aroma hops taking up space. this will be a very cheap build that is capable of step mashing, 90 min boils, high gravity brewing, etc. I can also brew out of the kitchen which will cheer the missus up, and it'll mean I can put some of my large equipment into retirement for now.

Post #2 made 11 years ago
Good Day RobWalker,

Everything looks good. I am a Mini-BIAB 2.5Gal/13L brewer for 70+ batches.

If you try Step-Mashes or need to reheat the mash , make sure your heating element won't interferr with or/burn the bag, when you drill the Hole.

Good Brewing!
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 11 years ago
Yeah, I'm gonna fit the bag to the size of the boiler as much as possible. It shouldn't be an issue as the boiler is a little bigger than I need, but that's because it'll also be useful if I ever want to make up a quick extract batch to fill a keg! Thanks for the advice. :)

Post #4 made 11 years ago
robwalker wrote:Thermometer will keep a constant eye on the temperature which I'm hoping won't drop.
With such a small volume the temp. will probably drop. Just be prepared for that and how you'll handle it.

I'm not well versed in boiling in buckets. How safe is this, even in a food grade bucket? What kind of plastic (I assume a plastic bucket?)?
Last edited by BrickBrewHaus on 30 Jul 2012, 01:43, edited 3 times in total.

Post #5 made 11 years ago
That's great, cheers. I'll do my best to insulate it, but with a thermometer at hand and an element I can turn on and off, it should be easy enough to hold temp :)

I'll check that out. I know the buckets at my LHBS can hold boiled water, but not sure how they would handle boiling water. Maybe it's worth investing in something thicker.

Post #6 made 11 years ago
robwalker wrote:That's great, cheers. I'll do my best to insulate it, but with a thermometer at hand and an element I can turn on and off, it should be easy enough to hold temp :)
Yep, should be easy to monitor and adjust. Holding temps is, in my opinion, one of the harder parts with mini-biab. Not that its actually difficult to do, it just requires a little effort to remember to do so then actually do it.
robwalker wrote:I'll check that out. I know the buckets at my LHBS can hold boiled water, but not sure how they would handle boiling water. Maybe it's worth investing in something thicker.
Definitely worth looking in to. Some plastics can handle hot temps, certainly not all of them. And some aren't considered food grade above a certain temp.

And regarding bucket thickness, getting a thicker bucket isn't a good alternative if its not made of an acceptable plastic to begin with.
Last edited by BrickBrewHaus on 30 Jul 2012, 04:49, edited 3 times in total.

Post #8 made 11 years ago
robwalker wrote: 1x Digital Thermometer £2.99 - ebay
Hi rob,
I would really recommend that you buy a decent thermometer. I've got 4 cheap ebay & amazon thermometers and two glass thermometers and the temperature difference between them is rather shocking. The one probe type thermometer developed the quaint characteristic of jumping by 5C whenever you taped the probe.
I'm using this as my main instrument. This one also seems to be rather accurate - I bought it without the calibration certificate.

cheers,
lambert
Last edited by lambert on 31 Jul 2012, 01:20, edited 3 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Swaziland

Return to “Stove-top BIAB (also known as Mini-BIAB)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 22 guests