Gordon Strong-Modern homebrew recipes

Post #1 made 7 years ago
Hi there Guys and Gals

I need some help. 
I am looking at brewing a recipe from Gordon Strong's book - Modern homebrew recipes.
Now i am trying to convert the recipe into biabacus.
But i am not sure of the VAW.

This is the info the book gives me.
Batch size / final volume  :headhit:: 25L (This is the issue as i am not sure if this is VAW)
OG: 1063
Efficiency: 70%
Mash: 60min @ 64C
Kettle volume: 32L
Boil: 90min
VIF: 21L

Please see if my recipe detectiveness is correct. :peace:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From South Africa

Re: Gordon Strong-Modern homebrew recipes

Post #2 made 7 years ago
Unless someone jumps in before, I'll answer your question fully tomorrow (within 12 hours) Homebrewjp.
Haven't had time to answer a question like this in ages so will look forward to it. I can also see you've already done some reading (recipe detective mode  :)) so good on you.
More later,
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 7 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:I think you did a good job with detective mode.
Yep, top job  :salute:
At the beginning of the book Gordon addresses many of the issues we cover here on interpreting recipes. As MS asked, he defines his recipes pretty well at the beginning of Section II, although there are some ambiguities.

Batch Size: He defines this as the volume at teh end of the boil although we don't know if he means at boiling temperature or at ambient.
IBU's: He defines these as Tinseth which is great. The only problem is that we don't know what software he is using and lots of software misinterprets or misapplies the formula. (For example, some software uses VIF or VFO instead of VAW. Some software even uses an average of VFO and VIB!*)

Anyway, your spreadsheet is great. You copied the "efficiency" mentioned in the book into Section X. You also set the VFL there to 0 which effectively turns VIF in Section B into VAW. Nice!
You then must have fiddled things until the grain bill on the left of Section C equalled the grain bill on the right. Great! What I wanted to do was find the logic in that and here is what  you find...

6.5 US Gal = 24.6 L (rounded to 25 in the book but let's work on 24.6L). If we typed this into Section B as VIF, we'd find the grain bill on the right of Section B is 7475 grams versus 7147 grams on the left. Let's see though how it looks if we take Gordon's definition of Batch Siz as being VFO (Volume at Flame Out). On the second sheet of The BIABacus, under Water/Wort Expansion, if you type in 24.6 on the bottom line, it will tell you that is the equivalent of 23.65L at ambient. Or you can simply type in the VIF field "=24.6/1.04". Let's type 23.65 into Section B...

Now we end up with 7187 on the right versus 7147 on the left which we can treat as being identical.

All that needs to be done now is type in 23.65 into the first line of Section D and then get rid of the 70% and the 0 in Section X. Change the VIF in Section B to what you want and you are right to go!

Let us know how you go  :peace:,
PP

*NOTE:  Book IBU's say 56 IBU's versus the BIABacus  52.6. This leads me to believe that the software he's using is apllying Tinseth to VIF instead of VAW. I can't say for sure though as I don't know the VFL. 
Last edited by PistolPatch on 03 Mar 2017, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7 made 5 years ago
Hi Fellow BIABrewers,

I just received a copy of Modern Homebrew Recipes as a gift. From page 27 on Key Points About My Process: "My recipes, measure the volume of wort left in the kettle at the end of the boil, not the amount of beer in a keg when packaged". His recipe size is 6.5 gallons (US) so that he can get 5 gallons of quality beer. So can I assume that he is using VAW for recipe size and, therefore, his recipes will have good integrity?

Thanks,

Steve
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #9 made 5 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:
5 years ago
That would be VFO.

His recipes in Brewing Better Beer does not have integrity against the BIABacus. Nothing matches up.

Have you entered one of the recipes in BIABacus?

Can you screen shot a recipe from the book for us to shoot into the BIABacus?

MS
Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was VFO or VAW. Do you know for a fact that it is VFO? If not then I'll write to Gordon and see what he says. I have not tried entering a recipe into BIABacus. I attached his version of a recipe familiar to us all.
recipe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 22 guests