Stone Pale Ale

Post #1 made 7 years ago
looking for some one-over-one checks on my attempt to take Stone Pale Recipe from their site into BIAB.  Any input is appreciated.  I was wondering on the Mash - the site recipe talks about a 156 degree F conversion and at 165 degree F mash - which I interpret as a step mash of say 156F 30 minutes and 60 minutes 165F.  But, thought I should check here before finalizing.
Here is the Stone Brewery site recipe:  http://www.stonebrewing.com/blog/miscel ... e-pale-ale
And here is my BIAB recipe (also attached):
[table][tr][td][center]Stone Ale[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Recipe Overview[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Brewer: Friendly Dog Brewery[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Style: Pale Ale[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Source Recipe Link: [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]ABV: 5.5% (assumes any priming sugar used is diluted.)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Original Gravity (OG): 1.057[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]IBU's (Tinseth): 20.5[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.36[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Colour: [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Kettle Efficiency (as in EIB and EAW): 80.3 %[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 68.9 %[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Note: This is a Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Times and Temperatures[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mash: 90 mins at 73.9 C = 165 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Boil: 90 min[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ferment: 10+ days at 22.2 C = 72 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Volumes & Gravities[/td][/tr]
[tr][td](Note that VAW below is the Volume at Flame-Out (VFO) less shrinkage.)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]The, "Clear Brewing Terminology," thread at http://www.biabrewer.info/[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Total Water Needed (TWN): 21.6 L = 5.71 G[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Volume into Boil (VIB): 19.43 L = 5.13 G @ 1.044[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Volume of Ambient Wort (VAW): 14.35 L = 3.79 G @ 1.057[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 12.3 L = 3.25 G @ 1.057[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Volume into Packaging (VIP): 11.39 L = 3.01 G @ 1.014 assuming apparent attenuation of 75 %[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Note: If extracts, sugars or adjuncts are not followed by an exclamation mark, go to http://www.biabrewer.info (needs link)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]85.4% American 2 row   2936 grams = 6.47 pounds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]12.1% Crystal Malt 60L   417 grams = 0.92 pounds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]2.5% Crystal Malt 75L   84 grams = 0.19 pounds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]16.1 IBU Columbus Pellets (12.9%AA)  7 grams = 0.248 ounces at  90 mins[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]4.5 IBU Ahtanam Pellets (6%AA)  12.4 grams = 0.436 ounces at  10 mins[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]0 IBU Ahtanam Pellets (6%AA)  30.3 grams = 1.07 ounces at  0 mins[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mash Steps[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full-Volume Mash):  Saccharifiaction for 90 mins at 73.9 C = 165 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Strike Water Needed (SWN): 22.02 L = 5.82 G 74.8 C = 166.6 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Miscellaneous Ingredients[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Chilling & Hop Management Methods[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Chilling Method: Cold Bath[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Fermentation & Conditioning[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Fermentation: See Section I for 10+ days at 22.2 C = 71.96 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Req. Volumes of CO2: 2.5[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Condition for 10 days.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Consume within 6 months.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Special Instructions/Notes on this Beer[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mash at 156F for 30 minutes, then 165F 60 minutes.  Ferment with WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast (65-70F), Stone ferments at 72F, [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr][/table]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Brew4me on 07 Jan 2017, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Re: Stone Pale Ale

Post #2 made 7 years ago
Brew4me - I looked at the Stone Pale Ale recipe(s) at their site, but your BIABacus file didn't appear on your post.  :scratch:
I trust that you have your kettle dimensions entered at the start; make sure the VIF volume target is filled in (Section B), enter the grain weights they gave and the hops with their AA% and times (blank=pellets for the form on left side of Sections C & D).  and watch for the right side of the grains and hops entries (Sections C & D) to get populated.
Their recipe says "about 9 gallons" for what I think is TWN (total water needed) but you may get a smaller number of gallons in Section K to go with altered grain and hops weights (Sections C & D) that will all fit in your kettle - watch the Mash volume field in Section K (and red warnings appear atop Sections A & B if you go too big). Tinker with the VIF to fit.
Even before seeing your BIABacus file, I'd say their strike water temp is higher than ideal. I believe it is better to let the ambient temperature grains lower the (strike) water temp a smaller number of degrees and then stir while applying heat to get back to the target mash temp. Also, BIAB will have all the water in the kettle at the time you start adding grains to your bag lining the kettle.
Try posting your file again, and good luck. :luck:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 7 years ago
Hmm, there is a large space between my writing and the biabacus table and the attachment. It is there - I  just downloaded to my tablet. Not sure why you don't see it? :nup: 
I did put the amounts in for a smaller brew - my questions were more in the temps they show - looks like two step mash. I also thought the temp was high...
Pete

Post #4 made 7 years ago
Also I think I see an error on my VAW - they state 6.75 gallons for boiling (6gallons plus 12 cups) which is the VIB so I need to take into account my EVAP rate which for my set up is 1.19 gallons for 90minutes.  So my VFO should be 5.56 gallons. Therefore the VAW is about .15 gallons less - so let's say 5.41 gallons (20.5L) VAW.
OK think that's good for original recipes VAW.  Still need to think on temps.... ?

Post #7 made 7 years ago
I am very curious about this.       It's very interesting how and why they get to 75% attenuation
Starting Gravity of 1.057 and FG of 1.014 are  within an APA style.  APA's are supposed to feature a slight sweetness but not as much caramel of British pale ales.   
The 13% Crystal malts will accounted for un-fermentable sugars for a Pale Ale, maybe more like a British Pale Ale.   Then the high mash temp of 156 for sure would ensure un-fermerntable sugars.  
I can't figure out the 20 minute mash with a mash out.    I have heard of commercial breweries doing  20 minute mash,  but that is because with the time needed to process their volume and not doing a mash out, the grains are exposed the mash temps closer to 30 and 40 minutes.  

But heck,  I guess at 156 mash for 20 minutes and a mash out that leaves the right balance to create a great Pale ale.  I presume a longer mash at 156 would result in a little more long chain sugars and thus more sweetness in the final product. 

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 59 guests