I just could not get a good rolling boil, British wether/need more kw's
At the end off 2 hours I had 8 litres to much Walt
No trub to speck of, tastes ok
Is it a bin job or would you ferment it
Any advice would be great
I'am going to upgrade my gas ring

Crap boil

Post #2 made 7 years ago
No reason to bin it. It might be lower gravity than expected but it will still make beer!

How big was the boil?

What sort of regulator do you have? A medium or high adjustable flow reg might do the job rather than a new burner or a 2400W over the side electric element would give it a decent kick along as well.

Crap boil

Post #6 made 7 years ago
Well having and extra 8L on top of 25 is a big miss!

On the plus side it looks like you can make beer without a boil!

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/conten ... experiment

Very anecdotal but shows it is worth fermenting out to see how it comes up. Also seems accurate on the main problems you could anticipate that a book is used for namely protein content in the finished beer, DMS and hop utilization.

There's plenty more going on in the boil but that's the basics.

Post #7 made 7 years ago
Try putting a stainless steel bowl in the kettle when you're boiling. This lessens the surface area and will get it going.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Re:

Post #8 made 7 years ago
Oldgit wrote:Ive got a 5.32 kg burner
Thinking of getting this one

http://www.homebrewing.org/High-Pressur" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... _1746.html
I have that burner. It is a beast. If you are doing 5 gal VIF batches it is a bit of overkill. I boiled over my first 5 gal batch in a 15gal pot :o
Last edited by Lumpy5oh on 18 Oct 2016, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #10 made 7 years ago
I used to have heaps of trouble with boils. 2 ring burner, no good... 3 ring burner, no good... bigger regulator, no good...

would take ages to get to boiling, then would boil then die down, build back up etc... never a vigourous boil

what I have done is 3 ring burner with 2kg/hr regulator and I place bricks around the pot three high in alternating pattern. Traps all the heat in there! Boil 35L from mash temp in 30 minutes and hold vigourous boil constantly!

Its a bit primative but I figure rather than wasting more heat and more gas (more expensive brew) may as well maximise efficiencies with what is laying around!

If you want I can get some pics of it, but it is nothing special!

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 2 guests