Post #26 made 8 years ago
That's come through perfectly oldgit :clap: :thumbs:,

Okay, above you mentioned using 50 grams of Columbus instead of 10 grams. In the file, I can't see 10 grams anywhere. Even in the orignal recipe, it says 30 grams plus 20 grams.

The only problem with your BIABacus file is that you haven't filled out either of the first two fields in Section D. You must fill out one of them (preferably the VAW) otherwise the BIABacus can't calculate "What you will use". It's worked it out for the grains - see how the original recipe used 5,000 grams of Maris Otter but the BIABacus is telling you to use 6265 grams?

Anyway, that's fantastic you can post the files up. We'll be able to double-check your next brew before you buy the ingredients really easily now.

:peace:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #27 made 8 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:That's come through perfectly oldgit :clap: :thumbs:,

Okay, above you mentioned using 50 grams of Columbus instead of 10 grams. In the file, I can't see 10 grams anywhere. Even in the orignal recipe, it says 30 grams plus 20 grams.

The only problem with your BIABacus file is that you haven't filled out either of the first two fields in Section D. You must fill out one of them (preferably the VAW) otherwise the BIABacus can't calculate "What you will use". It's worked it out for the grains - see how the original recipe used 5,000 grams of Maris Otter but the BIABacus is telling you to use 6265 grams?

Anyway, that's fantastic you can post the files up. We'll be able to double-check your next brew before you buy the ingredients really easily now.

:peace:
PP
Thanks for your patience :thumbs:
I've amended and uploaded a second file
Ignore the 10g rambling, I'am just getting confused
Last edited by Oldgit on 22 May 2016, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

Post #28 made 8 years ago
Not long now, dryid hoped 4 days a go
Stopped bubbling, going to take a gravity reading tomorrow
Very scary with all these fruit flys about
3 jars of cider vinegar with one drop of washing liquid in each, lots of bead bodies lol

Post #29 made 8 years ago
Oldgit wrote:Thanks for your patience :thumbs:
I've amended and uploaded a second file...
We are patient eh? :lol:

I found your second upload - a few posts ago. Next time load up your new files in your latest posts for two reasons; we'll be able to easily find your improvement and, secondly, you need as much uploading practice as you can get :lol:.

Okey dokey mate...

I won't write much here - it's probably best to take things a bit at a time; I often throw too much info out in one hit. Let's go bit by bit but thoroughly...

Sections A to C

In Section A, add the link to this thread. It might be unimportant now to you or anyone else, but if the file spreads, that link gives you and others an easy place to come back to the original idea/info on the recipe.

In Section B, I want to see the Recipe Credits. Morally, the original source should be credited but, it also makes things easier for the reader for the same reasons as above. I use at least two screens when answering questions here and even that is hard. Clicking a link is easier than me scrolling back through the thread trying to find the original recipe details.

In Section C, there is no need to write 1.060 on both the left and right sides. You are not changing the OG so just type it on the left.

More on Section C

For reasons I won't go into, I suspect that in this batch you may have bought/used the weights used on the left of Section C rather than the right-hand side.

In other words, was the grain bill you bought/used 5.6kgs or 7kgs?

That's my first question.

;)
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 24 May 2016, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #30 made 8 years ago
Thanks
I used the right hand side for grains, but only hit 1.055
It's a learning curve, when I dumped my grain there was more sweet liquor left in it
Arms to tired :headhit: hoist next brew :thumbs:
I realy do appreciate the forums pasents with the new fool on the block :argh:
I got the recipe from a book so link hard

Post #32 made 8 years ago
Looks like about 1.5L of trub out of your 25L into fermenter. That's pretty good, definitely no probs there. Just reading back and I see you dry hopped in the primary so that will steal some more volume. In other words, don't expect to get 23 litres into your packaging.

As for your 1.055 gravity, in your file, it says you scored 26 litres into fermenter instead of the estimated 25L. This will have weakened your wort a tad but it's nothing to worry about.

As a matter of interest, in your pic, you'll see you now have a bit under 25 L in your fermenter now but your krausen line shows 26 L. That's an area I've always meant to investigate more - volume loss during actual fermentation.

;)
PP

Post #33 made 8 years ago
All bottled up tasting nice, but bitter
Thanks for helping me through my first of many AG brews
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Heretic Evil Twin Clone recipe

Post #37 made 7 years ago
Cloudiness isn't a no chill thing. Often with very hoppy beers there is a kind of hop haze that occurs which could be part of it.

I haven't read your recipe but did you use whirlfoc or brewbrite or similar? These flocculants are added to the boil and encourage proteins to clump together and drop out of solution.

Also, leaving bottles in the fridge for a few weeks before serving can help clear things up a bit as well.

Lastly and most obviously, when pouring from a bottle you can stir up the yeast that has carbonated your beer and then dropped out of solution.

If it's none of these there's a few other things to try but this covers the basics.

Heretic Evil Twin Clone recipe

Post #39 made 7 years ago
Still possible to have a hop haze with a highly hopped beer. Have never used finings so can't comment on that.

Give one 2 weeks in the fridge and see how it turns out, if that doesn't work a more vigorous boil could help.

At the end of the day if it tastes good I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Post #40 made 7 years ago
It's had weeks in the fridge lol
I'am going to do the same brew Saturday
But swop Irish moss for the tablet version, see if it's better
I can't boil any harder 5kw gas ring on full, seems a good boil to me

Post #41 made 7 years ago
Re did the recipe
Lower ibu's
Lower ebc
Plus a dash move adv
Feed back please
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #42 made 7 years ago
I looked at all 3 BIABacus files within this thread. I can't see where you have completed much of your actual numbers in Section L and not only that, your new file has an altogether new OG in Section B.

Because we can't tell what your efficiencies where on your first brew we can't advise much going further on another similar brew.

At the least, you can change the OG back to 1.060 and keep the 1.065 for the "for this batch I'd like to try this OG". That will keep the same grain bill the same, but won't confuse me later. :)

My best guess for the hops, for an IPA, in Section D, is to delete the value in VAW and enter between 40 and 50 IBU on the second line.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 11 guests