Dealing with evaporation indoors

Post #1 made 9 years ago
So we got a small place rented out all for brewing! Yay. :champ: It's a small wooden building with concrete floor, an old sauna. I've just started thinking that if we boil two large brews there back-to-back in one day, and evaporate something like 20+ liters of water into the ceiling, won't that cause problems...? So what are our options? I was thinking if we would put up a plastic tarp above the kettle, with one corner lower than the others, would the condensating water drip nicely down from that corner? Any ideas are welcome.
"The rules for making hop additions during the boil are about as well defined as those for a knife fight." -Stan Hieronymus

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Not sure about the tarp. Really dont want it to condense and drip back into the kettle. Ive done a couple of brews in the kitchen at home. The vapor hit the ceiling and ran down all the walls. 12 months later im still trying to clean them.

Re: Dealing with evaporation indoors

Post #4 made 7 years ago
I have a similar issue in my house. The "brew room" which is a duel purpose storage/brewing room has no extraction fan. I can keep the door open during the process but condensation still builds up too much for my liking.

One method I have used is to place a fan at the door facing outwards. It didn't eliminate the issue but it helped. If it is possible to leave a door open in your space then this could be an option.

I also have the luxury of brewing outside but I need to be mindful of the safety factor here as there are always a lot of kids running through my house.

The first BIAB I did was when my wife was out for the evening. I foolishly left all the doors and windows closed so the entire house was covered in condensation. She was not impressed upon her return.

Post #5 made 7 years ago
Hello Goodtime,

Don't want to cover pot during boil. That's supposed to be something that can cause DMS in the beer, a taste defect.

If brewing with gas, probably should brew outside because of exhaust / fumes / carbon monoxide... Major safety issue. Unless a huge fan. And need fan to get rid of evaporated moisture too, if inside, as is already discussed.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #7 made 7 years ago
An "urn" is one of those large electric coffee pots, right? Urn is not a common term over here in the United States, and not for that...

Okay sounds good. I would still be cautious about brewing inside unless you have a good system to get rid of the steam / moisture. JMHO.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 26 guests