it's not inside, it's on top

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Hi Folks,

My fermenting TT Landlord brew has been in the primary fermenter for 10 days now. There is no activity from the airlock, which is expected. However, there is still a stagnant layer of yeast caking the surface of the beer. I've never seen this before. I used Wyeast 1469 for the first time, and the primary fermentation was hot (unintentional). Is this unusual, and indicative of some problem with the fermentation?

Cheers,
BDP

Post #2 made 9 years ago
BDP, Give the Fermenter a shake/stir/slosh. That will break the Dry Yeast cap, and let it settle out.

I always give the Fermenter a turn to shake/wake up the yeast. Wine makers stir the yeast every few hours to continuous oxygenate it.

Of Course, give it a smell, My vinegar ALWAYS have a yeast cap.

FYI: I have to do Something with a bad batch of beer----Hop Malted Vinegar.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Thanks joshua. After reading your post I was very eager to give it an immediate, good jostling, but decided to give it one more day. I did some more research today and it appears that this behaviour is not uncommon for this yeast strain, going by numerous postings on forms, etc. Also, it's starting to clear up & the cake has mostly collapsed back into the beer. Very interesting.

Cheers
BDP

Post #4 made 9 years ago
BDP, it is Good to hear it works for you.

The Solid cake can happen with many strains of yeast, so I always give it a Swirl once a day, to keep the yeast running!
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #5 made 9 years ago
Two weeks in primary as of today. Still very cloudy, with some traces of yeast floating on top. No activity from the airlock. I had planned on bottling today, but I think I'll leave it another week and hope it clears. Ambient temperature is around 12C.

Cheers

Post #7 made 9 years ago
Beautifully clear, thanks jhough! I let it sit for another week at around 7C and it cleared totally. It is drinking well now, but best on the cool side to tame some of the esters. Thanks for asking :salute:

Cheers
BDP

Post #8 made 9 years ago
Great to hear. let us know if it smoothes out after a couple of weeks at 7c . Sorry in & out for now.
J

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 25 guests