multi-step infusion using boiling water addition

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Hi Folks,

I would love to brew a dry stout from BCS, but the unmalted barley requires a beta glucan rest (according to the recipe). My propane burner is too weak to raise the mash temp up by the recommended rate of 1C per minute. I was thinking of using a boiling water addition to help raise the mash to sach rest temp, instead of heating via the burner. I tried the latter approach on a previous recipe, and it was a hopeless fail.

I would have to play around with the boiling water addition calculations I found in How to Brew, and somehow work backwards from TWN volume to work out my initial water volume. Is this recommended? Has anyone tried doing this with BIAB?

If I can get away with a single temp rest, more the better ... I have never mashed with unmalted grains as part of the grain bill.

Cheers
BDP

Post #2 made 9 years ago
BDP wrote:I tried the latter approach on a previous recipe, and it was a hopeless fail.
Why?
Last edited by PistolPatch on 06 Sep 2014, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 9 years ago
BDP,
but the unmalted barley requires a beta glucan rest

Why Bother with a Cereal Mash?

Quite honestly I don’t do cereal mashes any more. The reason is that the flaked and torrified options are just as good and require only a single infusion step (no cereal mash). So if I want to make a Belgian Wit with 40% unmalted wheat, I will simply use flaked wheat and no cereal mash. If I want to make an Oatmeal stout, I use quick Quaker oats (instant oats) which are already gelatinized. If I want to make a Irish stout with unmalted barley, I just buy the flaked barley and do a single infusion mash.

There is no advantage to the cereal mash unless you a truly working with unusual unmalted ingredients or just feel like playing around with raw grains you grew in your garden!

If you just want to try doing it? Do the work on your stove at home in a small pot. Cook it the night before and let it set on the stove all night to cool. In the morning dump the cereal mush into the crushed grain and mash as usual.

But why bother? :scratch:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/09/06/ce ... r-brewing/
Last edited by BobBrews on 07 Sep 2014, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Good Day, I take 1/3 of the TWN and mash those Non-Malted grains (Wheat,oats,corn,rice,Buck-Whweat and Potato) to boil(100c/212F) and add that to the 2/3TWN cold water....

((100C/212F times 1/3TWN) + (2/3TWN times the temperature(C/F) of the water)) equals the average temperature of the TWN.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 9 years ago
Hi PistolPatch,

Last time I tried to raise the mash temp to the next rest, it took too long. The resulting beer had no 'body', head retention, and tasted 'thin' (over-attenuated).

Hi BobBrews,

That's exactly the advice I was hoping to hear :salute: . The recipe calls for 900g of flaked barley. I'll mash the whole grain bill at the sacch rest temp.

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for the suggested formula. Good to know this is a workable approach ... I'll keep it in my back pocket as an option for the future.

As always, thanks for the input.

Cheers
BDP

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 62 guests