So much to brew, not enough kegs

Post #1 made 9 years ago
I am trying to get a variety of competition entries together for my local beer comp in Sep & Oct and trying to get the beers brewed now so they can settle down and age a little prior to the comps. I brew a batch large enough to fill 6 x 740ml bottles + a keg.

I'm at the situation now where my three kegs are filled, I have an IPA in secondary and a APA in primary with a Black IPA begging to be brewed in the next week or so.

Given in Canberra this time of year it is getting down to zero deg C at night and topping out at 8-10 deg C, if I sit my secondary (and the APA once I rack that to secondary)on the garage concrete floor for a few weeks would there be any issue? My thinking is it is similar temps to what it would have in my fridge anyway?

Thoughts? (besides drinking more!)

Post #2 made 9 years ago
BungBrew,

Yeast that experience rapid or frequent temperature swings will go dormant. If the beer is done fermenting then you are OK. Each yeast has it's optimum temperature written on the package or at least on the producers website. A steady temperature in that range is best for full attenuation. If your wort is fermenting than you will need to keep it steady in that range.

If your using a secondary than I expect your fermenting is over. So unless you kill your yeast with a freeze you should be able to revive the slumbering yeast'ties and have them carbonate your beer when the beer goes back into the warmer temperatures?
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 9 years ago
I'm a bit unclear on your question Bung. I think Bob has read it well but I am wondering...

Why are these beers in the garage? Why not just put them inside?

My next questions are, when are you going to bottle them and at what temp are you going to keep those bottles and for how long?

My final question is, why aren't you bottling now, keeping them inside for two weeks and then letting them sit in your garage?

They are my thoughts :think: :salute: :)
Last edited by PistolPatch on 16 Jul 2014, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 25 guests