Oatmeal Stout finished high

Post #1 made 9 years ago
After some advice (as always).

This was my 12th BIAB with all others being relatively successful.

I decided to rebrew my Oatmeal Stout which was a great tasting brew but used a new malt on the market here locally Voyager.

Everything went well on the brew day but for some reason it has finished at 1.022 instead of the 1.013 I was expecting.

I originally used US-05 and kept temps between 18-21 deg C.

After I had seen it had stalled after 5 days I gave it a stir and left it for a further 2 days .. FG didn't budge from 1.022

I then decided to pitch in some WLP-001 Yeast I had which I know is good and left it for 4 more days .. FG still 1.022

Attached is the BIABacaus.

Has it just finished high?

I am concerned if I bottle it now I'll end up with 25L of bottle bombs!

I am force carbonating a sample 750ml bottle later tonight, it smells very roasty and tastes ok out of the hydrometer sample.

Any words of wisdom?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #2 made 9 years ago
BungBrew,

If the mash temperature was lower than expected due to faulty thermometer or misreading it than you will have a more fermentable beer with a lower final gravity. The opposite is true also. If you mash higher than you expected to do, than you will cause the wort to be less fermentable by denaturing the grain. It will never reach the expected final gravity!

I know your worry about bottle bombs. They are dangerous or at least they will be gushers and be only (openable?) above the kitchen sink. Giving you a half a glass of flat beer. If you have a stuck fermentation and can't get it going again with the addition of different yeast than I expect you may be at final gravity? If the fermentation stalled due to low oxygen levels than it is to late to add some now anyway. Adding more oxygen after fermentation is almost complete will cause oxidation immediately.

If your are bottling with pelleted sugar pills than you could use 3 instead of 4? You have a beer that is in a normally low carbonation bracket anyway?

Good luck! :luck: Bomber?
Last edited by BobBrews on 27 Jun 2014, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 25 guests