aeration

Jump in here once you are familiar with the site and have a few BIAB brews under your belt.
Lars
Gold
Gold
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Undecided
City:

aeration

Postby Lars » 3 years ago

I use a version of this. Works a treat but I'd love to do a scientific test with a do meter
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-e ... get-68218/

Mad_Scientist
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: USA & Canada
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City:

Postby Mad_Scientist » 3 years ago

Lars wrote:I use a version of this.

I have a set of hoses and 1 short piece of polycarbonate tube with a hole in it.

I use an immersion chiller, so I aerate when I transfer from my keggle to my corny keg (which I ferment in). I will also add my dry yeast and seal up my corny keg and shake it some more.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:21 am, edited 5 times in total.

lambert
Gold
Gold
City:

Postby lambert » 3 years ago

Lars wrote:I use a version of this. Works a treat but I'd love to do a scientific test with a do meter

I like this! Thanks for the link.
Last edited by lambert on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tsar
Draft
Draft
City:

Postby Tsar » 3 years ago

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Lars wrote:I use a version of this.

I have a set of hoses and 1 short piece of polycarbonate tube with a hole in it.

I use an immersion chiller, so I aerate when I transfer from my keggle to my corny keg (which I ferment in). I will also add my dry yeast and seal up my corny keg and shake it some more.

I've heard about this method, I think it's called Venturi effect. How does it work for you?
Last edited by Tsar on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Mad_Scientist
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

I have a photo I took on my last brew day, shown on my photostream. The foam you see is Starsan, not from the aeration.

It does suck in air, I can see it. I don't think I have it fine tuned though. I should move the small piece with the hole further upstream, it is a piece of syphon tube, and should probably be a lot longer, giving the wort more contact time. The forth piece of tube (after the ventui) should be removed, probably is counter-productive as it is stepping back up to a higher diameter.

HbgBill
Gold
Gold
City:

Postby HbgBill » 3 years ago

I use O2.. Oxygen bottle picked up from a lady whose husband was on O2 before he passed. It came with a regulator and a flow meter. $35 for the whole thing and the bottle was full. I will NEVER need to buy O2 again :) I used to use the little red cylinders that came from HomeDepot and were used for brazing with MAPP gas. They worked fine.. but, was an expense that I'll, fortunately, never have to do again.
Bill
Hop Song Brewing-Santa Rosa, California

Mad_Scientist
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

HbgBill wrote:I use O2.. Oxygen bottle picked up from a lady whose husband was on O2 before he passed. It came with a regulator and a flow meter. $35 for the whole thing and the bottle was full. I will NEVER need to buy O2 again :) I used to use the little red cylinders that came from HomeDepot and were used for brazing with MAPP gas. They worked fine.. but, was an expense that I'll, fortunately, never have to do again.

We are all jealous of your green O2 tank.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:05 am, edited 5 times in total.

HbgBill
Gold
Gold
City:

Postby HbgBill » 3 years ago

Mad_Scientist wrote:
HbgBill wrote:I use O2.. Oxygen bottle picked up from a lady whose husband was on O2 before he passed. It came with a regulator and a flow meter. $35 for the whole thing and the bottle was full. I will NEVER need to buy O2 again :) I used to use the little red cylinders that came from HomeDepot and were used for brazing with MAPP gas. They worked fine.. but, was an expense that I'll, fortunately, never have to do again.

We are all jealous of your green O2 tank.

I could paint it a different color? Jealousy isn't a good thing :) Actually, green looks better than red.. but it is an O-L-D green that certainly needs a refresh. And the chrome on the regulator looks like a pitted old bumper.. Bet you aren't quite so envious now :D
Last edited by HbgBill on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
Bill
Hop Song Brewing-Santa Rosa, California

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”