US Bottle Swap?

Post #1 made 13 years ago
I've got my first two BIAB beers in bottles right now and I'm wondering if there's any interest in doing a bottle swap? Mostly I'd like to get some feedback from others; my palate isn't really that keen so other's opinions could be valuable. I'd be willing to set everything up, of course taking suggestions, but here's what I think so far.

I only have 3 12oz bottles of my APA that I purposefully set aside for a swap and ~a case of my most recent oatmeal stout. So I'd be willing to swap one of each with 3 different people, I can swap my OS with more than that, but you get the picture. The USPS has the flat rate ground shipping, that might be the best way, but I can check into that.

I think for now I just want to gauge interest. When/if there's enough people, we can exchange PMs of addresses, etc.

So whadya think, anyone wanna participate?

Post #2 made 13 years ago
I would be interested, but not until after the new year. It is sometimes tricky to get brews shipped in the US though. A friend of mine got fined on his third attempt to send a box (it failed the ship the first two). He managed to get out of the fine because he had used a fake name on the return address, so when he said that wasn't him and they checked his ID they couldn't fine him. I've only shipped once and had no issues. I've heard claiming that you have homemade bbq sauce in the box works in case they xray and see liquid bottles of about the right size for beer.
Arrogant Bastard Ale: "...Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this."

Post #3 made 13 years ago
I was worried about that. I looked on the USPS website and they say alcohol is illegal to ship but say nothing about root beer. I was wondering if you put a label on the bottle with some bogus kind of root beer, then when the post office asks what's in there, you can just say root beer.

Anyway, after the new year is fine with me. Hopefully a few more guys will be interested and we can swap a few more beers.

Post #4 made 13 years ago
BrickBrewHaus wrote:I was worried about that. I looked on the USPS website and they say alcohol is illegal to ship but say nothing about root beer. I was wondering if you put a label on the bottle with some bogus kind of root beer, then when the post office asks what's in there, you can just say root beer.

Anyway, after the new year is fine with me. Hopefully a few more guys will be interested and we can swap a few more beers.

its a federal offense to ship beer through the postal service... don't even try it...

on the other hand, shipping though UPS or FedEx and listing it as a yeast sample suspended in nutrient solution will work :D
Last edited by Mysticmead on 12 Dec 2010, 02:58, edited 5 times in total.

Post #6 made 13 years ago
Two If By Sea wrote:It isn't illegal to ship yeast samples in solution though...just sayin'.

technically.... yes. However, since you'd be shipping via UPS or FedEx the govt wouldn't be as likely to notice. taking it to the USPS and saying here transport this across state lines for me is a good way to get their attention. it really does suck that they make it next to impossible to ship a couple bottles.. it gets real hard for people to submit bottles to contests or to give to friends and family
Last edited by Mysticmead on 12 Dec 2010, 15:08, edited 5 times in total.

Post #8 made 13 years ago
You can't say root beer. Carbonated soda beverages are also illegal. Suspended yeast solution and bbq sauce are the best option. Labels are not necessary, just claim what you want them to think on the shipping form. I'm also pretty sure that these are federal laws, and not just USPS rules, so FedEx and UPS still have to follow them.

Personally, I would stick with USPS and claim something silly of about the right bottle shape and weight.
Arrogant Bastard Ale: "...Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this."

Post #9 made 13 years ago
the federal law states that to ship alcoholic beverages you must be licensed..and must ship to a licensed party.. to ship to competitions, I have shipped via UPS and told them it was a yeast sample in nutrient solution. it's a lot easier to ship by UPS of FedEx (UPS is easiest) than the USPS.. of course if you prefer USPS.. if they deny the package you're on your own.... I'm just sharing what I have experienced in the past..

Post #10 made 13 years ago
Good on you BBH for proposing this :thumbs:

I had no idea it was so hard though to post beer in the US :dunno:. If it helps, you can all send your beers to me here in Australia. Any beers arriving at my place will get a score of 50/50 :drink:.

As the saying goes, "I'm not qualified but I'll take a look at it for you." ;)
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #11 made 13 years ago
MM...I appreciate your comments, I didn't know about the hassles involved. From reading posts here and other places about shipping to comps, I just assumed it wasn't a big deal. Thanks for giving me a heads up.

PP...Something tells me that shipping internationally wouldn't be too much easier :) However, if you were to ever make a trip to the US of A, you could have as many of my 50pt beers as you'd like. :thumbs:

Return to “U.S.A.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 23 guests