craft beer in Las Vegas

Post #1 made 8 years ago
Hi

I've off over to chilly Las Vegas in 2 weeks for a week with work.
I was there in October and I'm a bit bored of the strip and would love to go to a good bar to try some quality American craft beer.

Any of you guys here recommend a bar or two? Ideally it would serve food as well so I can then expense the beer as well as the food :drink:

Thanks

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Chesl, I have not been to Lost Wages, Nv
But Google "craft brewery las vegas" and get at least 3 returns. Most serve Food, Too.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 8 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:chesl - what are you doing so far from home? What brings you to merica?
I've got a week internal company training in Vegas so going to see if in can enjoy a few of your beers whilst I'm over there and hoping to avoid the awful fizzy bud, coors etc!
Last edited by chesl73 on 10 Jan 2016, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post #6 made 8 years ago
Hey there is nothing wrong with bud, if you need to clean out your urinary track. :argh: Stay clear of the corona - last time I was out that way it was all over the place - then again if you are in the mood for skunky, lightstruck beer have at it - but I doubt it.
If you can I would recommend upgrading your rental to an SUV and tripping out of town with some snacks and a supplies - that]s what I did last time - hit a ghoast town in death valley (ok that was farther then I thought) and over to hover damn and mead lake (much closer)...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #7 made 8 years ago
I'm back from my Vegas trip and I was pretty much on my own there so I made it my mission to try and sample as many beers as I could and I really tried to take them all in and I made notes on all of them.
I've only been brewing properly for 6 months so this was the first time I've been over to the US since then and really considered the beers, lots of great beers and lots of variety. There was a bar in the MGM Grand were I was staying called Michael Mina 1842 and that had a very impressive list of draft beers, it gave me the opportunity to try some styles I'd never had before.
So here's my list of all the beers I tried. 22 in total in a week!
I have to say that in some cases these were part of a paddle sampler were you could buy 4 small 5oz samples hence the high number!
Honest :drink: :drink:

Crafthouse Evocation Siason, NV
Ballast Point Calico Amber Ale, CA
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, CA
Hor’s D’Age Bardot, Flemish Ale, FR
Anchor Porter, CA
Weihenstephaner Wheat Beer, GER
Inns and Gunn Scottish Ale, SCO
Rodenback Flanders Read, BEL
Brooklyn Defender Red IPA, NY
Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Maibock, OR
Goose Island Ale, IL
Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat, IL
Speakeasy Prohibition (Amber) Ale, CA
Tenaya Creek Bonanza Brown, NV
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, CA
Firestone Union Jack IPA, CA
Dogfish Head 60-minute IPA, DE
Lagunitas IPA, CA
Joseph James Citra Rye Pale Ale, NV
Golden Road Get up offa that brown, CA
Golden Road Point the way IPA, CA
Dragons Milk Bourbon Barrel Stout, MI

First time I've tried a sour ale with the Flanders Red - really didn't like it, I'd imagine these are an acquired taste.
First time I've tried a rye ale (Joseph James) - it was okay but the rye added a certain 'roughness' to it that I wouldn't necessarily go out my way to choose.

I would have liked to try more porters but didn't have the opportunity, the Anchor Porter was a nice solid ale. The Dragons Milk Imperial Stout was an 11% Bourbon Barrel aged stout - it was a bit much for me, I could taste the alcohol a bit too much and it had a very strong brandy/bourbon flavour coming through.

The highlights for me were some of the IPAs.
I liked the Lagunitas IPA, a lovely well rounded beer.
But the top two for me was the Firestone Union Jack IPA and the Dogfish Head 60-min IPA.
Both of these were really great. Really well balanced beers and a lovely citrus/grapefruit type aroma/flavour with a solid but surprisingly (given the high IBUs) a smooth bitterness. Really really good. I'd tried a few beers and I found the bitterness was just too much but for these two it was smooth and really well balanced. Great beers.

All in all was great to try all the beers - I've been reading a Gordon Strong book recently and it made me try and get better at tasting beers hence my notes etc so I think the trip was great for me from a beer education perspective.

As a 'foreigner', you guys over in the US are lucky with the options and beers you have on offer at these bars on tap.

Post #8 made 8 years ago
Nice taste testing!
Dogfish does make some good beers - they seem to also have a pretty good following.
Cool to see yo did not waste your time - but it does make me wonder how the "work" went...

Post #10 made 8 years ago
Aww yeah, Firestone Walker is in my top 3 favorite breweries. Matt Brynildson is a great brewer, and always very willing to share his wealth of knowledge.

Ballast Point was also in my top 3, but it really pissed in my wheaties that they are now affiliated with Corona. I can't say I blame their sellout, I'd have probably done the same thing.

Post #11 made 8 years ago
Everyone should know that Rogue Dead Guy Ale is my main house ale. :whistle:

For something way more intense the Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA is nice too.

MS
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #12 made 8 years ago
Ha Ha MS!

I dont think Dead Guy must travel well, as when I had a bottle it was just like Carlsberg "Special Brew". Off topic but an interesting bit of info;

It was first brewed in honour of Winston Churchill. Today "Spesh" or, as it is often referred to in headlines, "tramp juice", is most commonly associated with getting drunk incredibly cheaply. Now Special Brew - which at 9% ABV contains 4.5 units of alcohol per can - will become less potent in 2015. Brewer Carlsberg says that it will sign up to a UK government-led pledge that no drink should contain more than four units, a man's maximum recommended daily intake.

It would be an ignominious fate for a beer whose tin proclaims that it comes "by appointment to the Royal Danish court". Carlsberg says Special Brew was first brewed to commemorate Churchill's 1950 visit to Copenhagen, incorporating "cognac flavours among its tasting notes" in deference to the wartime prime minister's fondness for brandy. The novelist Kingsley Amis was also a fan, mixing it half-and-half with regular Carlsberg pilsner and praising its ability "to create goodwill". It was also immortalised in a top-three hit for ska-pop band Bad Manners.

The brand enjoys 37 million UK off-trade sales each year, says Chris Wisson, senior drinks analyst at Mintel. But recently super-strength lager has come under fire for its social impact. One homeless charity compared such drinks to crack cocaine and, in an effort to tackle anti-social behaviour, shopkeepers have agreed not to stock them in parts of Westminster and Suffolk. Spurred by such complaints, the government raised duty on beers over 7.5% in 2011
Last edited by mally on 30 Jan 2016, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #13 made 8 years ago
Interesting information Mally. I'm from the UK originally so I'm well aware of Carlsberg Special Brew, an infamous beer. I was unaware of the facts you mention. As you say, it's your classic on-the-street drunks beer of choice, strong and cheap. I remember there was also another brew called Tennants Super (9%) that had a similar type of buyer.

It reminds me of an advert/slogan I saw recently (on the web somewhere) that was around in the 50s in England for a strong stout and the slogan was 'Stronger than a double-scotch but half the price'. You'd never get away with that byline these days!

Post #14 made 8 years ago
chesl73 wrote:I remember there was also another brew called Tennants Super (9%) that had a similar type of buyer.
Ha ha Chesl, yep Tennents Super (Scottish tramp juice), apparently used to have "lager lovelies" printed on the can too (late 1980's).
BTW - Lager lovelies = female models! I don't think you get away with that now either :dunno:

Tennents is another of many that has gone by the way of AB-InBev as well :evil:
Last edited by mally on 31 Jan 2016, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #15 made 8 years ago
mally wrote: Ha ha Chesl, yep Tennents Super (Scottish tramp juice), apparently used to have "lager lovelies" printed on the can too (late 1980's).
BTW - Lager lovelies = female models! I don't think you get away with that now either :dunno:

Tennents is another of many that has gone by the way of AB-InBev as well :evil:
This has just reminded me of another 80s beer related UK icon, the Hofmiester Bear! Follow the bear!
Have a look at these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh6aqOR_XFo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an interesting article from 2003 on the bbc news website about the demise of 3.2% lagers in the UK if anyone's interested.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3188382.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by chesl73 on 31 Jan 2016, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “U.S.A.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 23 guests