Main BIABacus Help Testing Thread

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Okay, have got this working now. It takes a while to load but in the post below you will see a pic of the main page of the BIABacus colour-coded into different sections.

The idea is that the user/brewer can hover over a certain area and have a pop-up to give them some basic information or, if further information is needed, they can click the section and it will take them to a part of the forum that will give more detailed information.

I'd like to use this picture format idea for the main forum as well.

Some Questions for You

Do you like the idea?

How long is the pic in the next post taking to display?

Is it displaying properly? (What's your browser and screen resolution?)

Some Concerns

That pic is 2.5 MB Latest pic is 1.73MB] for some reason. Others I have done have only been 300 KB. If anyone has any ideas why, please let me know.

:peace:
Last edited by BIABacus on 01 May 2014, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post #6 made 10 years ago
Love the colour coding very nice, very nice indeed, makes a huge difference in the ease of understanding.

Please feel free to delete this post if we are not allow to post in this thread
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #7 made 10 years ago
Yettiman and others, I have the picture working dynamically now. Please read post #1 first though before viewing it.

Glad you liked the colour coding Yetti. It's only something I think we would do in the help pics not in the main program itself. Doing it in the main program itself would probably be impossible anyway as the colour compatibility between Excel and the open source spreadsheets is pretty lousy.

The colour coding might also be the reason why that file is so big :think:.

Other Notes

Currently the pic appears as follows...

Chrome No problems.
Explorer, Firefox and Opera: Slightly cropped but with scrollbars.
Last edited by Pat on 03 May 2014, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #11 made 10 years ago
BIABacus wrote:.

Some Concerns

That pic is 2.5 MB for some reason. Others I have done have only been 300 KB. If anyone has any ideas why, please let me know.

:peace:
This might be too easy of an answer but, is it being saved as .bmp instead of jpeg?
Last edited by JackRussel on 04 May 2014, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #12 made 10 years ago
OK, I know Pat gets upset if his questions aren't answered fully :lol: :lol: :lol: so here goes.....

Do you like the idea - yes

How long is the pic in the next post taking to display? - Seemed instantaneous but I was reading post #1 at the time so didn't really notice how long!

Is it displaying properly? (What's your browser and screen resolution?) - mine is cropped & has scrollbars vertical & horizontal, Firefox & 1920 X 1080 (as you alluded to).

Not sure about the pic size, sometimes resizing it in "image software" can correct it?
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #13 made 10 years ago
Bill, glad you like the concept. I've had a real mental block on how to get the help and forum structure correct for ages. There are so many ares that over-lap. I was conversing with mally on his Beginner's guide, trying ot work out how or if that would fit into the new structure. He came up with a pic of the BIABacus with watermarks on it. I then bought the program 'Snagit' and realised I could put hovers and hyperlinks in it and this has broken the mental block. What it measn is that you can get a lot of info into a picture without it being cluttered. The info you want wil be diferent from the next brewer. Throwing all the info at alll brewers was something I really wanted to avoid at all costs.

Regarding the File

Jack, it's actually a .swf file (shock wave flash) and maybe Yetti, it would work in an ipad if you could enable flash files being played. I have no idea but a Google might give us an answer if you have some time.

I just re-sized the pic above to 1024 wide which reduced the file size down to 1.5 Mb but wiped out all the horspots so I'll have to do it again from scractch. Oops! My interenet has beeen shaped this month ansd it was taking abou twenty seconds for that top pic to load.

I'll have another go at the pic now at 1024. Thanks ;).
Last edited by Pat on 04 May 2014, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

Post #14 made 10 years ago
You'll see my latest crack in post #2 now. See post #16 which supersedes this post.That file is 1.95MB and somehow grew itself from 1024 to 1120 width. Takes a long time. Will have another crack at getting it to 1024. This time will be quicker as I only have to re-do all the hotspots. It also looks like the majority of MB are coming from the 'hotspots' so not much can be done about that. The file above grew from 340 KB to 1.95 MB after adding the hotspots (hovers and hyperlinks).
Last edited by Pat on 04 May 2014, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

Post #15 made 10 years ago
Cropped image has gone & looks OK now for me :thumbs:
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #16 made 10 years ago
Thanks mally. Have just posted what might be the final one. It is 1.74 MB but I think it is the best I can do. It is 1024 wide. I can't find a way of moving pop-ups to a fixed spot. It seems to choose its own unfortunately but I think it is good enough.

Post #19 made 10 years ago
Do you like the idea? Yes

How long is the pic in the next post taking to display? Seemed to come up immediately

Is it displaying properly? (What's your browser and screen resolution?) Safari 1280 x 800

Post #20 made 10 years ago
Great guys! The links in the pic will stop working soon [ADMIN NOTE: Forget this. It's going to be easier to re-do the pic later - long story.] as I'm moving the test links into the currently hidden Recipe/BIABacus forum. Feel as though we are getting there now.

:party:
Pat
Last edited by Pat on 05 May 2014, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

Post #21 made 10 years ago
I'm on 1280x960 resolution right now, using chrome. Everything looks and works very well for me.

Also, I'm red/green colorblind (very badly, too) ... and even I can differentiate the color coding pretty easily.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #22 made 10 years ago
Hi, I'm looking for help on the Biabacus spreadsheet and an explanation of all the volume and efficiency parameters (eg section K). When I click on the link in the picture though it just goes to a "test link post" for the sections. Please can someone tell me where I can find help/an explanation on each section ? I am sure IU have seen a thread somewhere that explains VIW, VIK, EIK etc.

Thanks

Dom.

Post #23 made 10 years ago
dom wrote:Hi, I'm looking for help on the Biabacus spreadsheet and an explanation of all the volume and efficiency parameters (eg section K). When I click on the link in the picture though it just goes to a "test link post" for the sections. Please can someone tell me where I can find help/an explanation on each section ? I am sure IU have seen a thread somewhere that explains VIW, VIK, EIK etc.

Thanks

Dom.
Hi dom, you have stumbled onto a thread that was designed for user feedback and testing. I think it was supposed to be hidden, but not to worry. No state secrets here!

The help is currently being written by Pat so at this stage those links don't work. I too had the same issue as you when starting out and trying to understand the terminology as it was all foreign to me.

What I did was google a few terms, many of them have wiki descriptions already written out in webland.
Also make sure you read this viewtopic.php?f=145&t=2685

Those I still didn't understand or couldn't find info on just post a specific question (probably best not in this thread) and one of the many helpful members will jump in to help.

Cheers
Last edited by bundy on 24 May 2014, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #25 made 8 years ago
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere...

I have access to locally malted 2-row. I have brewed two batches so far and my GIB has been 10 points lower than expected.

My LHBS confirmed that this was typical for this malt and suggested to use 10% more grain for this malt to make up for the lower efficiency.

How should this be handled in BIABacus?

Thanks

Chris
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABAcus Help - Testing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 24 guests