eBrewery : fully automated BIAB system Android controled

Post #1 made 7 years ago
Hi all,
Here is my first post on this great forum.

I have designed, for my son, a BIAB system.
eBrewery.jpg

It's composed of :
- one 70 liters stainless steel kettle
- a 12V recirculating pump
- a 4500W electric heater, controled via a 40A Solid State Relay
- a temperature probe
- all this controled with a custom ESP8266 wifi board
- and an android application ;)

ESP8266 handles all the sensors and controls the PID temperature regulation
Android App does all the "glue" and GUI

- import of BeerXML recipees
- edit/modify recipees
- launch/pause/stop/reset/save current recipee
- control all the brewing process in real time

Steps control :
Main.png

temperature regulation : (accuraty +-0.5°C when only water, +-0,7°C with mash)
temperature.png

Finally a short video of the very first brew :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuupawC0OEE

I hope that the fisrt batch will be drinkable :luck:

JP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by freedom2000 on 04 Apr 2017, 17:45, edited 7 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From France

Re: eBrewery : fully automated BIAB system Android controled

Post #2 made 7 years ago
Hi JP,

That looks like a lot of work... I applaud your efforts.

What was your EIB number (Efficiency Into Boil), and your wort OG? I take a more basic approach where the mash gets agitated with a potato masher a few times throughout the mashing process. Did not want to have a pump and additional hoses to set up and clean. For your additional labor, hope you can get at least a couple points higher efficiency numbers... ;) You may, and you may not. ;)

Thanks for sharing. You must be involved in automation for your career. The system looks like you put a lot of thought and effort into it, so again...I applaud your efforts.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 7 years ago
Great first post on the board JP :salute:

I even watched the video, something I never do! Nice job!

Is that an app you made yourself? I don't know much about apps but it looked very clean and neat :clap:

I'm not sure that BeerXML recipes will live up to such an app as there are several major flaws in the logic and terminology of recipes published as BeerXML's but you'll discover those with a bit of reading here.

If you are into automation, you must also be super-vigilant with your cleanliness and sanitisation as the "moving" parts are not as easy to keep pristine as we'd think. In fact, it's much harder for an automated home brewer to keep things sanitised than it is for a commercial brewery because the commercial brewery is always flowing so there is no time for things to become stagnant.

Also, if you are in your early days of all-graining, keep a close eye on things even though things are automated. There are problems that can occur that you wouldn't anticipate such as hot and cold spots and "channeling." So poke a thermometer in various parts of the mash during the mash. And take measurements of volume and gravity pre-boil and post-boil as these will help identify if you have any problems or are on track.

I might have this next bit wrong but I'll have a crack :)

Vive le brassage!
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 7 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:
7 years ago
That's the first time I've seen a stainless steel braided hose used for recirculation. What material is the hose made out of?
MS
Sorry for the consecutive posts JP but MS could have a valid concern there.

If the hose you are using is the type I'm thinking (flexible gas or water hose found in hardwares or home depots), it is basically a rubber hose protected with stainless steel braid to stop it bursting or being pierced.

In brewing though, that will cause problems as it will definitely taint your wort, probably even on the first brew unfortunately.

Anyway, definitely double-check that :peace:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7 made 7 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:
7 years ago

If the hose you are using is the type I'm thinking (flexible gas or water hose found in hardwares or home depots), it is basically a rubber hose protected with stainless steel braid to stop it bursting or being pierced.

In brewing though, that will cause problems as it will definitely taint your wort, probably even on the first brew unfortunately.

Anyway, definitely double-check that :peace:
Thank you for the advice... it's "the bad" hose :headhit:

Post #9 made 7 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:
7 years ago
Great first post on the board JP :salute:

I even watched the video, something I never do! Nice job!

Is that an app you made yourself? I don't know much about apps but it looked very clean and neat :clap:

I'm not sure that BeerXML recipes will live up to such an app as there are several major flaws in the logic and terminology of recipes published as BeerXML's but you'll discover those with a bit of reading here.

If you are into automation, you must also be super-vigilant with your cleanliness and sanitisation as the "moving" parts are not as easy to keep pristine as we'd think. In fact, it's much harder for an automated home brewer to keep things sanitised than it is for a commercial brewery because the commercial brewery is always flowing so there is no time for things to become stagnant.

Also, if you are in your early days of all-graining, keep a close eye on things even though things are automated. There are problems that can occur that you wouldn't anticipate such as hot and cold spots and "channeling." So poke a thermometer in various parts of the mash during the mash. And take measurements of volume and gravity pre-boil and post-boil as these will help identify if you have any problems or are on track.

I might have this next bit wrong but I'll have a crack :)

Vive le brassage!
Thank you for this reply !

Yes I made the App myself and all the stuff by the way (electronic board, MCU code, Android code, hardware plumbing etc...)

Regarding cleanliness, I made boiling water circulation before mashing anything. Is it enough ?

I am really in the very first early days of brewing. BTW, it's my son who is the brewer. I "only" assist him. And I must say that I like this story :thumbs:

As you say : Vive le brassage !

JP

Post #10 made 7 years ago
Scott wrote:
7 years ago
Hi JP,

That looks like a lot of work... I applaud your efforts.

What was your EIB number (Efficiency Into Boil), and your wort OG? I take a more basic approach where the mash gets agitated with a potato masher a few times throughout the mashing process. Did not want to have a pump and additional hoses to set up and clean. For your additional labor, hope you can get at least a couple points higher efficiency numbers... ;) You may, and you may not. ;)

Thanks for sharing. You must be involved in automation for your career. The system looks like you put a lot of thought and effort into it, so again...I applaud your efforts.
Well... I don't know EIB number and OG :scratch:

I have a refractometer on the way between China and France... So for the moment it is a "blind process".
Next time it should be more professional !

I am not really into automation, rather "satellite science" in CNES (french space agency). But I enjoy all these things !

And really thank you to all of you for these nice comments. I believe that I have found the right forum !

JP
Last edited by freedom2000 on 05 Apr 2017, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “BIAB Automation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 10 guests