An article about my simple BrewPi Spark control-box project

Post #1 made 9 years ago
For those who are interested I have completed an article on my blog Bobs Bittelille Bryggeri (="Bobs SuperSmall Brewery"). It is in Norwegian, but has some photos for illustration. Since a picture tells more than 1000 words (:-)), I hope that there might be something of interest for non-Norwegians too. You find the article here: http://www.bobsbittelillebryggeri.no/we ... ControlBox

If you run it through Google Translate, you might even get an idea of what it says :-) Note that "Paint basket" is "Mesh basket" :-)
    • BME Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Norway

An article about my simple BrewPi Spark control-box project

Post #2 made 9 years ago
I haven't been able to read all the way thru the link yet but I have been following the brewpi thread over on HBT with the intention of building one of these. I love how the pi is able to learn your system and keep fermentations at a precise temperature.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=466106
Last edited by Lumpy5oh on 25 Mar 2015, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #4 made 9 years ago
I don't speak the language but the pics are great. One question though: Is it really a good idea to have the pi electronics so close to the relays? Seems there might be the possibility for EMI issues?

---Todd
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 9 years ago
rvoith wrote:Thughed - hmmm, prehaps not! What could be the (perhaps soon surfacing) problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure if there would be any problems given that you are using solid state relays, I guess electro-magnetic interference caused by the relays wouldn't be a problem unless you were using old-fashioned "contactor" relays (which use electromagnets). Seeing as though EMI probably won't be an issue, the only other concern I can think of might be heat. I see you have the relays mounted on heat sinks but the sinks are inside the enclosure, do you have a fan and vent holes that I am not seeing or do the heat sinks actually extend through the wall of the enclosure so they can get some air circulation? I only have one relay but ended up going with the large external heatsink in the picture in order to keep things cool.
Last edited by thughes on 26 Mar 2015, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8 made 9 years ago
thughes - Thanks for your thoughts. I agree that it would be (much) better to have the heatsink outside. joshua - thanks for your links! The control box look fantastic! By the way - for monitoring purposes and security, I do have a temperature sensor inside the box. I was very uncertain about the what amount of heat the Raspberry Pi and/or SSRs would generate. So far it is stable on the 27 degrees Celcius with the load of an ordinary oven.
    • BME Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Norway

Return to “BIAB Automation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 18 guests